Bait tanks

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by YeeHaw, Mar 12, 2006.

1. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I'm wanting to make a bait barrel out of sheet metal, can anybody give me plans to make one out of metal? Since it's getting warmer outside, i've been catching minnows, and crawdads in the creek, i need a bigger bucket. I prefer to make a big one mabe like 3 foot deep, and at least six feet long, and at least 3 feet wide.

2. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Sounds like a deep freeze to me. Some one on here made one from a deep freeze. Sounds like it would be much simpler. Metal would rust on you in no time. Look in the libary the pictures and setup may still be there.

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    If is going to be for a short time, like spring and summer, get a childs wading pool (plastic) and a airerator.

4. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

i built one out of a plastic live stock feeder got it done today will take a pic and attempt to put it on here for you in an hour or so

Attached Files:

5. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    alright that sounds good. Thanks a lot for all the info it's greatly apprectated.

6. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    What's an airerator, and how much would one be and where could i get one?

7. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I would suggest an old freezer, cooler or even purchase a stock tank. They are some great plans on building a bait tank just do a search.

chris

8. kycat

kycat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That is what I have plans to do. I was going to remove the top or make it to where I could lift it back someway or another. Was going to place it in the ground so it would stay cooler in the hotter months.

I have a simple set up now that I can take with me anywhere I go, and it could also be used on a boat or at a home.

I have a rubbermade container that is somewhat large. It has wheels on it so I can transport it from the truck to the fishing loaction. Here is what I did to make it.

Purchased the rubbermade container.
    One Mr. Bubbles areator that runs off 12V battery.
    1/2 PVC pipe and two end caps with a PVC T bracket.

1. Take the orginal areator tube off the unit and intall a longer PVC tube.
    2. Add the T bracket to the top of the installed PVC tube.
    3. Branch off the T with two more pieces of PVC to the left and right.
    4. Take a hole saw and drill two holes in each end of the container to run the PVC tubes through for support, and then cap the ends of the tubes.
    5. Take a small drill bit and drill several holes in the PVC tubes running left and right from the T bracket. (This helps spread the water streams throughout the entire area of the tank)

This will do wonders for keeping baitfish alive, and the small areator pump will not heat up the water in the tank. Total cost of the tank is about $30.00 if you already have a extra car battery to run it off of.

9. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I think the best way and cheapest is to get an old deep freeze or refrig. and make on like that use the freezer section on a refr. as a filter...

10. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I got my Aluminum bait tank done this morning, it has a few leaks so i'll have to silicone it. I still have to weld the handles on it but that won't take too long. It's 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot, it's pretty good size, and best of all it won't rust.

11. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I GOT IT DONE!!! I'll have a picture of it soon, it has a few very little leaks, because we welded it but they are very minor. I'll probley just pu some silica on it and that should take care of them.