bait tanks for shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by todobiennc, Apr 29, 2008.

1. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    Any suggestions for building a bait tank for shad to be used in a boat?

2. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    look in the library there are tons of um and they all look like they work real well

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I made this one, works really well for under $60 *I think*

the original tub design is in the Library... picked it up at the dollar store for dirt cheap.. Boat the pump at wal-mart... think the plywood was like $6 or something... splitters/tubing/PVC at the farm store....
    Filter was basically free using scraps.. Had to buy a bag of polyfill (1 bag enough for years) and a box of ammo carb...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=702875#post702875

bait stays nice a lively, so much so that sometimes they hard to catch with the dip net :big_smile:

4. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    thank you very much

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree I would check out the BOC Library they should have some stuff in there about bait tanks and I have seen some people have a big garbage barrel and have a nice aerator in it and it does good keeping there shad alive soon as you catch the shad though you have to be fast putting them in it or they will die.

6. Rputman

Rputman New Member

State:
    nc
    I built a nice one out of a 30 gallon drum. By the way if anybody want it I will take 100.00 for it. it has a filter system, pump and aereator just gets to warm in the summer. I have 150.00 invested, But my sugestion is buy you a Grey Line and save the headache and go fishing. I bought one and caught 40 shade last week and keep them for 3 days with no problems. They are high but worth every penny. good luck If you are close to me send me a not and I will sell you this at a deal and you can use the pump and areator.

7. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    Rputman - so how did you make your filter?

8. Rputman

Rputman New Member

State:
    nc
    I used a water filter from Lowes just unscrew, wash and replace. A regular house filter.

9. Rputman

Rputman New Member

State:
    nc
    It is really set up good just really needs some insulation and would probably be fine. I just got tired of messing with it.

10. Rputman

Rputman New Member

State:
    nc
    I have some pictures if you want them.