Bait Tanks - Could I use a Rubbermaid Plastic Box?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by tnkatman, Mar 13, 2006.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Can I Use A Rubbermaid Plastic Box And 60 Gallon Fish Aquarium Pump To Keep Some Blue Gills, Gold Fish, & Minnows In, Between Fishing Trips, Do You Think They Will Live ? If So What Should I Feed Them ? Any Suggesions Or Comments Are Appreciated.

2. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Some good ideas in the BOC library. Check it out you may find what you are looking for.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've been using a ~25 gallon Rubbermaid box for a couple of years. They seem pretty flimsey for that much water, but it's held up ok. When I switched to a submersible pump I also doubled up the container. I was afraid the plastic might split open, with the pump overheating and starting a fire. The original container has never failed, but I sleep a little easier with the "backup" in place.

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    :) Yes that will work for a good bait tub. most people will burry them into the ground alteast some of the way to keep cool in the summer. i would feed them garden/pond fish pellets that float (walmar for 5.00 will last about 3-4 weeks) and just empty out some old water and add some fresh atleast 1 or 2 times each month they should live all year.... keep in garage or something in winter for better survival rate!! :)

6. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use to have a 100 gal tub buried in the ground with a Gold fish pond pump & filter, I had a 2x4 frame with chicken wire on it to keep the fish in and everything else out. No joke the fish will get out. It all work real well. then a friend gave me a 100 gal. Stainless milk tank that cools the water, Ive got it in my garage its awesome.

7. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    As For Food For The Gills I Have Used Pond Pellets For Pond Koi Works Good