Bait Tanks - Bought or home built?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Mr.T, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thinking about getting an insulated bait tank to keep the shad alive in. Grayline seems to be the top of the line, but they're apparently made from gold based on the price. Was just reading about the KeepAlive brand tanks and they're a lot more reasonable on price, but I can't tell what the difference is between the two brands.

I talked to the guy at Grayline and they're coming out with a new 25 gallon model that isn't shown on the web site yet - it's round, 22" diameter by 24" tall and has a built-in filter box. List price is $375 as compared to $420 for the current model 20 gallon tank.

I'd consider building something on my own if I though I had a chance of doing a good job and saving some money.

Any opinions about either brands or going the home-built route?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    T,if you have a West Marine etc type of store near you go there and look at what they have or look in Cabelas catalog or on line.That is way to much money for a 20Gal bait tank unless its oxygenated,cooled and self managing.You can build yourself a tank and there are probably many good ideas in the Library as this subject has been beat to death.You didn't say if you just wanted an at home tank,portable,for a boat or exactly what application you had in mind.:)

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The Grayline tank is insulated and has a built-in aerator pump and a filter with several different layers to it. But you're right that it's ridculously expensive.

I'm looking for something I can use to keep an evening's worth of shad alive in my boat - not looking to preserve them for days at a time and doesn't need to be big enough to hold hundreds of them; maybe 40 or 50 at a tmie is plenty. I want something insulated and self-contained but not permanently plumbed into the boat. I'll take a look in the library and see what I can find - I know I've seen coolers converted into bait tanks so that may be all I need.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Who changed the subject line for my thread?? Whistler???

Was it in violation of some policy or another?

If not, please put it back, as I like to think I'm pretty good at typing the exact subject I want in my posts...

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My buddy bought a KeepAlive insulated 20 last summer. I'll be honest , I thought he was kind of nuts at first because of the price, but now we don't leave home without it. It has been worth every penny. I just bought a KeepAlive aerator to retrofit in my homemade 30 gallon tank. Cabelas just dropped the price on them to $40 this spring. Can't wait to get some bait in there to see if it works as well as his store bought one.

7. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Are you wanting one for home or boat? If boat, get a 120 qt cooler( thats 30 gal) I bought the stuff to build mine for under $60.00. Thats hard to beat. I can't see spending $400.00 to keep bait alive. But its your money & your bait.

8. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    MrT.,
    I have the same dilemma as you, and it seems we fish the same waters. A lot of the home made tanks are made from coolers, which will keep herring and blue gills alive a long time. The shad we catch on truman however, must have a round insulated tank. I was looking on ebay one day, did a search for bait tanks, there are several on there, but be careful because some of them don't include the pump. I stumbled on one that I think will work great for me and from how it sounds you too. Go to www.edsbaittanks.com and check these out. Might have to beef up the filtration system a little but overall looks like the best bet for $155.00. If you order it off ebay he includes chemicals and a dip net. That is my next purchase for my boat. Boog

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Wow, Boog -- I *really* like that tank! Can't find it listed on eBay currently so may have to buy from the web site directly.

If I thought i could find a suitable bucket, I think I could build something like he's selling and probably do it for a few dollars less. But I don't have a clue where I might get a ~30 gallon bucket with a lid. I'm going to do some searching and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the pointer!

10. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    kickin_wing and I mada aluminum bait tanks in our welding class a couple weeks ago. They are 2 ft wide, 2 feet long, and 2 feet deep so they are pretty much just a 2 ft square. They are a lot bigger if you see it, but they kindof leak, but we are just gonna silicone them shut. They are also light to, i'll post a picture later on.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I got an e-mail back from the guy at Ed's Bait Tanks - he's running a special now, $139.95 including shipping for his tank. Think I'll take him up on the offer.