Bait Tanks At Home

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Jul 10, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Does anyone keep a bait tank at home to store bait in from trips or bait catching outings?

I have a 24 gallon tank I pulled off the boat I bought from a striper fisherman, because I really don't use it on the boat. I was thinking about wiring it up at home in my garage and keeping live bait in it. I was curious is anyone does this, how well it work, what temp to keep it at, what kind of additives to use to keep bait alive, and any other pointers you can throw in!!!

Thanks!!

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    no but i would like to though....do you have any tips on how to make one?

3. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i dont have a tank like that, but ive kept them in a 5 gallon bucket for a week. i know that the temperature should be contolled, colder the water the better i think and aerated. ive caught bluegills and bass and kept them in my aquarium, and they would last indefinitely, so just use the same principles, you might have to do frequent water changes to clean out the poopy water.

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have a large horse watering trough I keep gills in. I put about 3" of stone in the bottom and change the water alot. I don't keep bait in it very long so it's not aerated. I'm gonna run a gutter down pipe into it to help get fresh water in. Works good for me.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have recently rigged up a 5 gallon water cooler for a bait tank. I have used this 3 times now and have been haveing decent luck keeping my bait alive in it for trips. I use a aquarium pump for O2 at home and a battery operated pump for on the water. As for additives to the water I haven't used anything but filtered well water. Its not big enough for long term storage.

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I use a cooler and have rigged it with a walmart aerator and filter setup. Keeps bait alive pretty well. Should be able to do the same with your tank.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would like to add the library has a lot of info on bait tanks also.

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I keep a 20 gal. tank for "red-fins" (Black nosed Daces) for trout/walleye fishing. I do a 20%-30% waterchange daily, about an hour after feeding so they don't fowl the water so quuickly. No heater if they're not tropical and give the fish plenty of room and some cover so they don't feel as threatened (they excrete more ammonia when nervous) feed regularly and you should have no problems other than perhaps getting attached to the lil' critters! Good luck my friend and happy fishing!

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I keep 1 or 2 10gal. tanks for bait up and running.Never know when I'll need bait or need to keep it.

10. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I'd honestly never thought of that. Sounds like a good idea, though.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Click on this link, it is the library.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50475#post50475

Scroll down to the "Live Wells" section, there are many ideas and helpful posts in there on bait tanks. Hope this helps.

The library is an underutilized section I think.

12. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    This might sound crazy, but my brother picked up a used 50 gal fish aquarium and set it up in his carport. He keeps his live bait alive very well in the tank. The glass allows you to see them well and also determine if the water needs to be changed. The aerator and everything came with it. I am looking for a good set-up but prefer to spend my little bit of money on the boat and tackle so I am looking for a really cheap set-up. There is a lot of info in the library on the subject.

13. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    My wife keeps telling me that I am running a small bait shop in my shop for some reason. I never have more than 20 bream and 50 minnows at a time, and a worm farm.....I dont know where she gets that idea from?

My set up is more elaborate than neccessary. I am currently running what is called a Wet/Dry filter system. This allows greater volume of water to flow through the system allowing room for larger/more fish. I have a 50 gallon pond that I bought at Home Depot set up on cinder blocks that hold the fish. It overflows through bulkheads into a 25 gallon storage bin onto filter media in a canister. This water in the storage bin is circulated and filtered and is then pumped back into the 50 gal pond. This basically cycles my water at 700 gph. I still have to do weekly water changes of 25% to keep the water quality in good condition. Sorry I do not have pics....Will try and get some tonight.

I may have confused a lot of people on the subject but you can Google Wet/Dry filter DIY and a lot of information will come up.

If you do not need a system this elaborate you could always use a regular aquarium with a Whisper styler filter that hangs on the back, just make sure it is rated for the water volume you have in the tank.

The key to keeping healthy fish is weekly water changes of 25-30%......more if a lot of fish in a small tank.

I am an aquarium enthusiest and will offer my support and knowledge if you need help. Just PM me.

14. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am new to catfishing but I do know a little bit about fish tanks at home. When you set up a new tank it takes a while for the "good" bacteria to build up. For this reason it would be a good idea to keep your home bate tank always running with a few fish at all times. This way the tank is always conditioned correctly. I would also recomend always keeping the tank aerated and if you want to spend a few dollars you can get a sponge type filter at the pet store that will hook on to your air line. Do this and don't either overfeed or overcrowd the tank you should have no problems at all.

15. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I cut the top off of a 50 gallon plastic barrel and bought me a 60 gallon aireator from Walmart to run in it. I just fill it up with river water (since city water will kill the bait) and my bluegill and perch last for months or untill I use them. I feed them bread every morning and flush the water about every two weeks. That's the good think about working on the river, I have all the water I need and can catch bait while working :smile2:

16. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC brother, always great to have another new member. Thanks for the imput on the bait tanks. Nice to see you chipping in already.

17. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a 150 gallon stainles round milk tank that I can cool the water down to 40 degrees if I desire. I pump water up and thru a gold fish pond pump & filter. I can keep about 75 big shad alive for up to 2 weeks or bluegill for a long time. The shad will starve to death if not used. Good Luck.

18. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    I think this might be something I might try. I would go catch my bait fish one day then go fishing a few day later.

19. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    go to ebay and type in aeraters and thier are alot of diffren ones you can buy at a good price. you can eather get a water tank or a kiddy pool and thier is an aditive you can put in the water to take the clorien out of the water i will ask him what it was an post it later put i use the big creek i live next to for mine:big_smile:

20. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    There are several products out there that will take the chlorine out of the water that are readily available at pet stores and even Wally World. I have used several and they all seem to work about the same. If anybody is interested in which one I use, PM me because I am sure this reply will get pulled if I say the name here, but one capful (5ml) will treat 50 gallons.

Other chemicals work just as well, but it seems you have to add more of it to get the same results.