Bait Tanks and Power Failures

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by criggster, May 18, 2008.

1. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I started my bait tank last year, but had some troubles when we had power failures. I have a 100 gal. stock tank, two airstones, and a biofilter. The filter is the waterfall type. Each time we lost power for more than 30 seconds the water would siphon back into the tank, and when the power resumed there was not enough water in the reservoir to start the process of siphoning water back into the filter.

Anyone have the same problem? Any suggestions? BTW, this usually happens while I'm gone to work!

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    How long are the power outages? Also how big our your pumps? Hint do what they do in the computer industry. Get a battery backup ... "APC"

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Invest in a couple battery operated aerators from wal-mart for $6-$8 and keep them on stand by, they take 1 D battery and last a long time with a good battery. Thats what I'll be doing just in case but mine is only a 55 gallon plastic barrel with an above ground pool cartridge type filter/pump on it.
    Good Luck to you!!!

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A trickle charger hooked to a 12v battery, running a 12v aerator, such as the KeepAlive, should keep them alive until the cavalry arrives to set things right.

Thanks for raising this point...reps!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I didn't think of that. I'd rep you if I could. Wouldn't work for me since mine are here at home but excellent advice!!!

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't know if this would work but maybe get a valve that only lets water go one way. That way it can not flow back into your main tank.

7. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the replies. I thought about a back-up power supply, but that could be expensive. The power usually is off no more then a few minutes. I have two airstones, but they start back when power resumes.

My problem is with the filter losing water and not filtering for X number of hours. When this happens the filter media dries out on top possibly killing the bacteria and the water is not being filtered until I come home and restart the system.