Bait tanks and aerator

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Ellis, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    How much is a medium sized bait tank and how many shad could it hold? I usually have alot of left over minnows, and it would be nice if i could catch shad and chubs to use for my local pond. Thanks. What do you feed your bait also? Fish flakes?

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Check out the Library, lots of good bait tank info there. This is a link on keeping shad alive.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3653

I would suggest that you keep the shad seperate from other bait fish and prevent over crowding. Stable cool water temp will work best for keeping your bait alive. Good luck

3. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Im going to buy all my bait tank stuff. Anyone have a reccomendation on what aerator i should use for a 20gal tank?

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If its going to be fixed position almost any but the smallest would be good. If you are using it to haul around with you Walmart has a decent one at affordable cost. There are better and more expensive models out there. A pet store would also have information on pumps and powerheads for a 20 gallon tank.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Your going to want a 500GPH pump. You want good water movement, but dont make it a tidal wave where they wear themselves out.

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I put mine in a home made basket and hide them in the lake or river when I'm gonna be there a few days, and if it's in or around deep water it usually attracts a few fish.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have been trying to perferct my home bait tank. So far, keeping small amounts of fish alive is fairly easy. I begin to have problems when I try to push the limits of the number of fish I can keep in the tank. I only have a 28 gallon bait tank, and my goal has been to keep two dozen bream alive in this tank. Maybe I am asking for too much with this amount of water. So far a dozen is about all I have been able to successfully keep alive.

I heard a common rule of thumb for shad is one gallon of water per fish, so maybe I am pushing the limits!!

AMMONIA BUILD UP WILL KILL FISH FASTER THAN ANYTHING. A lot of people think aeration is the key, but aeration is actually the easy part. As temperatures increase the ppm of ammonia also increases, and this means you either need to chemically filter the water to remove the ammonia or use an additive to chemically alter it so that it is not harmful to fish.

Ammonia has been my biggest problem so far. I am looking at adding a larger filter system to the tank to help take care of this problem. Keeping the water cool is another thing that will help, but that can be tough in 90-100 degree weather if you are keeping it outside.

The bottom line is that you will probably have to do some experimenting with what you can afford. It will take some trial and error to operate within the budget that you have.