Bait Tank

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by monstercatmatt, Apr 15, 2008.

1. monstercatmatt

monstercatmatt New Member

State:
    n.c.
    Ive been catfishing alot more lately and been using shad and they have been dying on me after ten min after i catch them so i built me a bait bucket im using a little bilge pump i bought from wally world well its already set up for a live well apparentlly. Its called a fish saver. Does anyone on here no if they will keep shad alive very long im goin to try to post pics of it later.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    shad are extremly hard to keep alive. Sometimes just the stress of catching them in the net can kill them. Try these tips. Use only a round bait tank. If not they will not survive. Use some type of bait saver to help with good air in the water and put enough ice in your water to cool it down and change the metabolism of the fish. NOT too much ice or they will go into shock.

My best advice cut them up and put them on the hook! Change bait every 15-20 minutes!

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    shad are very hard to keep alive id have to agree with the post above get you some shad keeper that seem to help good air an a round tank

just got my new tank that i won from the givaway on here cant wait to get it out an see how it works out

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    that should work once you catch shad you have to get them transfered fast

5. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    A comm. built tank is the way to go but, they are pricey. Masterflow, Ron Vest, Creek Bank or Keep Alive are all worth the money. I striper fish and bait in premium shape is a must, red nosed, lethargic bait just ain't gonna get it. I have a 800 gal. bait tank at the house and transport shad in overcrowded bait tanks regularly, here's what works for me.
    Start w/good water, salt (The best salt I found is Mortons Agri-flow feed salt, 50 lbs. is $7 and it's granular, instantly dissolves and is pure salt) and then you need aeration and filtration. Handling them is key from the start or you are doomed before you even get going. Net them and empty the net into a bin filled w/water (change the water often), not the floor, allow them 5 min soak time to poop, shed scales etc. and then transfer to the tank, that has been running and putting air/O2 into the water for a while. Try not to exceed 1.5 fish per gallon or else you'll need liquid oxygen as well. (With a venturi aerator and Liquid O2 I can keep 4 per gallon until I get them home.) Salt your tank at 1 cup per ten gallons at first, then once all the bait has been in the tank for 45 mins, drain at least half, clean the filter material and refill salting again (slightly less) and adding Ammo lock (sold at pet stores) per directions. The reason for all this is now you have bait that hasn't lost alot of scales or slime coat, is rehydrating w/salty water and isn't swimming in ammonia water (shad get way stessed after capture and poop a lot causing ammonia to skyrocket). I like to add bait slowly to the main tank as to not tax out the availible O2 from putting 6 dz. wild baits in at once, unless I'm running the O2 bottle as well, slow and steady works for me. After being in the tank for a little while they calm down and use less O2.

Things to keep in mind:
    Tail race bait is often hardier and less messy that those caught on mud flats. Some type of venturi aerator is must have equipment. Herring, alewives and large / small threads are tougher to keep, than med. threads and gizzards. Water quality is vital to good bait keeping, poor water quality = dead shad. This is the basics but a good starting point. Good luck, Jim

6. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    I had no idea that it really took so much to keep them lil buggers alive! Think I'll just cut em up and keep fresh bait in the water........ sounds to much like work! LOL

7. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Yep, I just slice em up if they dont swim..LOL! I like bream/perch for my live lines..

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yes, they will work as long as the temperature is right, you have good water, and there are not too many shad. You will be limited in how many you can expect to keep alive in a small tank. The lack of circulation is a big problem in homemade tanks.

Trust me on this; save your money and buy a Creek Bank or Grayline bait tank if you want to keep live bait.

9. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    lissen to WyileCat on this, I have got several diffrent tanks for shad everything form cool bubbles to homemade ones, Most of my tanks were over 10gal and even at that the shad would die off in a few hours, I just got fed up with it all and put in a positive flow tank, there is fresh water comming in and leaving all the time so far this has worked out great with almost "0" loss. the loss i do get is from the net stress, One thing i do is not put my shad right into my tank but into a bucket or flaoting bait ring first to let them sterss out there then put them in the bait tank, This seams to help keep them alive longer. also it alowes me to remove the dead shad and put them on ice for first use. In a closed tank it is important to replace the water regualry, this will keep the scales and slime down, also remove the toxans that the shad produces. Using keep alive will keep the shad form stessing. In the summer it is important to keep the shad form getting too hot i use to float a 2lt frozen bottle this would last for a few hours so i alway had some in the icechest to replace the used one. good luck

10. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Hey Pier Pressure,

I tried to send you a pm but could'nt because your mailbox is full. A message came up that said you can't receive any more mail until you clear out some space.

11. monstercatmatt

monstercatmatt New Member

State:
    n.c.
    Alright i dint no about that with the pm but ive moved them now go ahead i can recieve it now i hope and thanks to everyone who has given me advice on this i went to badin sat and tried out the new tank and just like yall said dint work but it dint haft to used cut perch instead and caught a five pound channel seen on my avatar.once agin thanks all.

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    You need clean filtered water pretty much with plenty of O2 and salt. I got a 20 gal. Grayline tank and swapped the stock pump for a 500 gph rule pump, I add a 20 oz. bottle of salt when I fill it, and change 50% water after a couple hours and mine do fine. I kept 60 big threadfins in it for 3 days a few weeks ago and only lost 9. I changed about 75% of the water out once a day and changed filters twice a day and kept the salt in there when I changed the water and the bait I dumped out looked as good as it did when I put it in there.

13. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I just finished up a new live well myself.I don't have one in the boat so I had one of those square coolers with the pull up handle and wheels just sittin in the shop.So I installed one of those live well kits from Wally World in it.The pump uses suction cups to attatch itself and has the hose running up and it T's off and jets down.I even put a toggle switch on the back for easy on/off and installed a bracket that holds a light inside for when I'm fishing at night.It really turned out good and I am putting it to use for the first time this weekend. I was using a big 8 gallon bucket with a screw on lid that I had put a door in.It works good but just wasn't big enough to hold the bait I wanted.Plus the new one is easier to move around and I can also use it on those bank fishing trips .

14. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    Using the cooler you may run into problems with the shad banging their heads into the corner. round is better.