Bait tank

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Sep 28, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have had a few ask about my at home bait tank and how it is setup... so i will quickly explain. i have an 100 gal. rubbermaid livestock tank, with two garden pumps. the main pump which aerates the tank also filters into a five gal. bucket i drilled with holes. i have it hung from the garage rafter, suspended about a foot above the water. in the bucket is pea gravel. approx. 1/2 full. on top of that is 3 layers of nylon screen to help filter even more. as the water falls through the bucket the solids are being seperated. to be honest i can't remember the gals. per hour for the pumps off hand. i do know when i bought them i considered the output level and it was plenty for the gallons of water i keep in my tank which is around 20-30 usually. the main pump has a 3/4" id plastic hose. the other pump simply has 1/2"id plastic hose only around 6 in. it lays in the bottom of the tank and the purpose of it is to add current. great for keeping shad!! i conditon my water which is well water..not ran off the house water softner. with white salt to help keep the protective slime coat on my baits. i just grab a handfull and throw it in. lol. and with Sure Life's Better Bait. seems to work great. i used to have my tank in an outside shed, which i had a bad turnover rate..so, i moved it to my garage which stays around 63-68 degree throughout the year. no problems since. i actually have kept baits for months on end. i do change my water taking 10-15 gal. out and replacing a couple times a week. and do clean the bucket, gravel, and screens accordingly... i have seen better setups than mine. but, for the money i have had good sucess with this setup... i will post a couple of pic.s for those interested..rollo

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    heres a few of pics. the one of the pump is the smaller one used for current.

Attached Files:

3. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    We had a 75 gallon freshwater fish tank in our house-with a home made setup like this as a filter. It is pretty efficient with filtering the water. And I also have a friend that has those in a bait shop.

Thanks for information

4. Todd 7479

Todd 7479 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hello I have bait store plus my own personal tank if anyone has any questions I will try to help all I can

5. Todd 7479

Todd 7479 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rollo has right idea one thing that I do a little different is I use pillow stuffing to filter my water seems to work well and lot easy to deal with than having to clean rocks all the time im sure it less expensive my setup was just like rollos just dont have the time to clean rocks I keep between 30 and 40lbs of goldfish in 1- 100gal tank which is aprox 300 to 400 fish and have to change stuffing twice a week use about 1 bag per tank every 2 weeks and cost about $1.75 a bag at wal-mart

6. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    man with very little effort on your alls part. your set ups be even more maintance free. i i wouldn't clean the gravel ever hardly. thats where you want your bactiria to grow and alge. plus you can put pea gravle in bags or panty hose , mess free . i have heavly populated 75 gallon fish tank . not my bait tank . aint spenting the money even though isn't much. until i get a big enough tank . but my water is clear and healthy and i maybe clean my filter material once a year. i replace my carbon every 3 or 4 months even thoguh its recomended 3 or 4 weeks . i would recomend everyone use activated carbon . removes smell and ammonias from the water . the reson the bucket hanging above the bait tank is working good . is cause your on the right track . the reson for the pea gravle and what ever else . is to allow bactiera to grow on it . the good kind that eats tha dirty smelly bad ones. they will colonize there . which you want . so if your cleanign it every week or month or what ever. your removing them . but once your water flows throught the filter and washed clean from the batciera eating the amonnia. it drops into the tank , but first mixes with oxygen. which hepls fish breath and helps feed the bacteria.onnce you figure out how it all works , they will take car of them selfs. but i do recmend small water changes freguently. not half and half . but smaller chages . do that get some carbo0n. harder but dont need it . and try not to clean filter media for a while . oh cycleing a tank . which is what your trying to do . lots of times goes cloudy for a few days or so . just stay patient. do more small water changes . and just wait . i truly feel if everyone did this . it would greatly improve your baits everything . much healthier i think . i normaly will put a fish back if i'm done fishing and hes been hooked for a while . i figure he dies he dies . and they never do . i dont know just my way of doing things. i do think it could help everyone out if done right . but by no means is it the only way or the best . just what i love that works ..

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    anyone know where i can purchase the Better Bait locally

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bass pro, i'm sure has it... locally..sometimes small area bait shops carry it, or if not they are wholesale buyers. they usually can order it for you.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here you go skip...hope this gives you an idea...rollo

10. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    i use a 55 gallon aquarium for my bait with a standard filter system i bought for 25 dollars at the flea market alot of changing the floss but it works well. . . . . . . . . . . Mike

11. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    you guys are lucky , it's illegal to use live bait unless caught at that body of water at that time. that is , it's illegal to transport live fish, even crayfish..

12. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks a lot for those ideas! Currently, I have a 110 gallon stock tank like pictured. I have a garden pond filter with a pvc pipe coming up above the surface of the water and spraying back into the tank. It has done well, and I keep plenty of baitfish alive for as long as I want, but will be using these ideas to make my setup better than it is.

I really appreciate these ideas, and the pics guys!

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey Rocky, i used to use a pvc pipe with holes drilled in it, but i didn't like it as much. it would grow algae on the inside, and the holes would plug, i was constantly trying to keep it cleaned out. this bucket system i have been using is really cheap to setup, and i love how it filters all the junk especially after adding the nylon screens to it.. one other thing i have found to help keep your tank fairly clean is, right after catching bait you may notice how your cooler is full of floating algae, insects, etc. that they throw up... i leave my baits in a big cooler with a portable aerator system running, changing the water every half hour for a couple hours allowing the bait to clean themselves out some before placing all my baits in the bait tank...bullheads are esp. bad about this.. just a little hint:wink: goodluck, if anyone has any questions shoot me a pm...rollo

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    had some more asking about my bait tank in my garage, so I thought I would find and drag this up again.....hope this helps..rollo

15. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Thats a nice setup Rollo, I've learned alot on this site, thanks for bringing it back up.