Bait tank

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by cleon, Jun 14, 2007.

1. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm looking for suggestions on bait tanks. I'm looking for the ability to keep at least three dozen herring alive for an extended amount of time. If possible, I'd like to spend less than $250.00. Is that possible? thanks in advance.

2. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I made one out of a 20 gal tub and a pump from Wally world. I got about $30 in it and today I had 3 dz herring and about 10 bream with no casulties. I couldn't afford $250 for a tank that's nuts. good luck

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
  4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you can use about anything to keep them them in but if you want to keep large amounts or keep them for acouple of days you really need something insulated esp. during the summer. water quality is the most important thing. next to oxygen. I have acouple for different situations. If I am gonna be on the water for a long time or keep bait for a day or 2 I use a 30 gal insulated tank. I also use pure oxygen with mine so I dont have all the noise of a pump running and dont have to worry about a battery dieing and losing all my bait. If I am going somewhere off the bank I just use a 15 gal plastic barrel with a hole cut in the top that works great for about 10 to 12 hrs. just depends on what you want and what you want to spend.

5. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys for your help! Where could I find 15 - 20 gallon tubs at that would work well? Any suggestions?

6. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I made my own by using an old cooler with a bilge pump for dumping and pumping in new water, along with a aerator from a fish tank that was 9V operated, I just tapped it into 12V, works just fine.

7. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    A round 15 gallon water cooler works great. Herring and shad beat there noses up on the flat walls of rectagular coolers. 15 gal water cooler at wally world $49.97. Air stones $6.93, 12' of 1/8" air hose $ 4.59, aquarium department wally world. Stow Away 12 volt air compressor $19.95 also you guessed it wally world. Total price $81.44 before taxes. MAKE SURE TO DRILL A HOLE IN THE TOP TO RELEAVE THE AIR PRESSURE. Guess what happened when I didn't, yeah POP. But it works great now. Any questions on assembling the parts just send me a PM.

8. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
  9. Missouribreaks

Missouribreaks New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'd say fordman has the right idea for mobile bait. It's cheap, insulated, and it has handles on it. If you need to cool down the fish, block ice will last longer than cubes. When keeping live bait at the house, I see a lot of folks around here using a small chest freezer. Fill it with water, put in your bait, aireator and plug it in for a while everyday. timers probably work good for this.