Bait Tank

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dust777man, May 25, 2007.

1. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Was thinking of a making a bait tank and this is what I have come up with so far. Getting some type of round tank and seeting it up on my dock. Pump water in and set up an over flow. That way fresh water is coming in continuously. Do I still need a filter system or any other suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

3. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you are circulating fresh water in you may get away with siphoning out the waste on a regular basis, say every other day or so. Go to the pet store and get a water siphoning hose and keep the waste out. A set-up with fresh water continuosly running through is better than a recirculating system.

4. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only problem that I can tell so far is that if your bait tank is in the sun you may have problems keeping your bait alive. Also if you are continuously getting fresh water make sure you aren't just getting the top layer of water because it is much warmer than a few feet down. I would suggest keeping the tank and just using regular water on one of those goldfish pond pumps. My tank is a 100 gallon rubbermaid horse trough. The pump sits in the water with the hose running above the tank into a 5 gallon bucket with small gravel in it. I drilled dozens of small holes in the bottom of the bucket. It also has a piece of screen over the gravel for the big pieces. The bucket acts as a filter and when the water drips back into the tank it adds oxygen back to the water. It keeps bait alive for months. I think I had 120 bucks in it total. I'll post some pics soon.