Bait tank

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by billcatfish, Oct 22, 2006.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    iv been looking into buying a bait tank for shad any suggestionswill help

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    First thing to consider is size, if the tank is to big and takes up to much floor space you won't like it. You will use it for a while and then you stop because its more of a pain than gain. Round or oval tanks work best, provided there is plenty of aeration, with a filter to remove scales and small debris.
    Commercial tanks are pricey, but are sometimes the best option. Do a search for bait tanks on the net and you will have plenty to choose from. baitwells.com is a good place to start.

3. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I cant take credit for this link it comes from greggofish...

This is where he bought his bait tank and I have seen it perform...It will keep thread fin shad alive which in my opinion are the hardest because they are the smallest,but his tank will keep threadfins alive for days.. yes days....

Expensive may be, but it works...so you have to weigh your options....

You could always cut a plastic barrel in half, stick an aerator in it throw some water stabilizer in it and call it a bait tank...just depends on your wallet and your fishing conditions.

http://www.bluewaterbaittanks.com/

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Tim's Bait Tank

I am making this tank with a few modification's to better suit my needs. This will be my first bigger bait tank. I have used 5 and 10 gallon buckets with lids and bubbler's but I am using an Fishsaver bait tank pump for this one. I am also going to insulate it with either spray in foam are strofoam and cover with thin planks of wood that have been plasti-coated are fiberglassed.

5. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I use a Coleman 100 quart ice chest and aerator with suction cups i got at wal-mart. I drilled the outlet holes a little bigger to get more flow. it takes about 5 minutes to make and you can use it for an extra seat in your boat.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    whatever you decide... remember you have to be able to take out contaminated (scales and bacteria) water and pump in fresh water to keep shad alive...if you cant separate the shad from their shedding scales and bacteria they will DIE in minutes...and the tank has to be round or they will bash in their brains slamming into the corners!!!!

Thats the beauty of the blue water bait tank it pulls the scales from the bait holding area and places them in a filter which can be easily cleaned by discarding the old filter media and adding more filter material media.

If your not trying to keep shad alive just bream, suckers, carp, eels or some other type of hearty bait than you can make a bait tank cheaper than you can buy one...