Bait Tank Water

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by River Outlaw, Jul 16, 2009.

1. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    im tryin to get things on hand so i can get this bait tank set up. i have heard there is an additive that can be put in tap water to make it safe for fish. true ?? if so, what is it and where to get it ??

i have a 110 gal. tank and the aerator is for 30 gal. i think. will that still keep em alive ?? im plannin on gettin a pump, filter system and pvc pipe to make a sprinkler for it to help out the aerator unless not needed. we have a drain valve on the tank so changin water wont be a prob so will a filter be necessary ??

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You can get the chlorine remover from the pet section at Wally World.
    The rest is up to you. If you dont mind changin the water once a week or so I wouldnt worry about the filter.
    I use one of the aquarium air pumps from WM that has the 2 outlets. I run 2-10" air "wands". Forget what its rated for but it works great. Only 10 bucks.

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Whazz up? I use a product called AquaSafe by Tetra for my aquarium and it neutralizes the chlorine in tap water. It should work fine in your bait tank. Stay safe and keep the bait swimming:wink:

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    JJ, I use stress coat an its like 10.00 form petco or pets mart for 16oz an it treats upto 946 gallons.

I use a foutain that has a mesh filter attached to it an I change the water ever other month or more if I keep bullheads in there my tank is outside in the shade so the rain helps keep the water fresh. I also use a fish pump that I got a petco for 24.99 an it has 4 hoses that come of off the pump I run 2 air stones an then one bigger one that I merged two lines together to make the flow stronger on the bigger flat air stone.

I also use fish tank salt I follow the directions on the box for goldfish an seems to work for me. I have heard you can use water softener salt too I keep plenty of Green sunfish an bullheads alive but the blue gills seems like I lose one of them everyday normally the smaller ones or the really huge ones die faster. I do have a turtle in there that eats really good. If one dies that I don't see until morning.

Hope this helps just let me know if you need any more info

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  5. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Bluegills suck.:sad2::smile2:

6. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Save your money on the shad saver.
    Pick up a bag of Rock Salt while your at WM for $5.:wink:

7. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I,ve been using the the Wally World stuff for months and its been working great.Havent lost a fish yet.

8. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    now i just need to know which of you are commin by to get this done for me and when !! ( duckin from flyin objects :smile2::smile2: )

:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2:

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I'll set it up for you as long as YOU keep MY bait tank full of bait all the time. :roll_eyes::smile2:

10. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    JJ, you can also just fill a 5 gallon bucket, and let it set for 12 hours. The Chlorine will dissipate on its own.

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I allways thought it was 48 hours but maybe thats for my 100 gallon tank.

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Chlorine will dissipate but chloramine wont. Not sure if its in your water or not.

13. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Now you just need 20 5 gallon buckets and you will be set.:crazy::smile2::wink:

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    that was alot of cipherin for you Kyle :smile2::smile2:

15. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i can keep it full of gills. i get tons of em at shawnee

16. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    JJ whatever you use to take the chlorine out I suggest that you use about twice what the bottle says to use. I have killed a lot of fish by not getting the chlorine out.
    As far as changing water you do not need to change it all. Like Ray said just fill a couple of 5 gal buckets and let them set. Then every 2-3 days dump a couple buckets out of the tank and add the fresh water that has been setting. If you can drain the water from the bottom of the tank instead of dipping it out you will drain all the waste too.
    Good luck!

17. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Although my bait tank is a work in progress.....Meaning I have the pump, Kyle gave me good advice awhile back in saying an old freezer would make a real good tank. I have two old fridges but no freezers but the word is out with my family keep an eye out....I know that when the wife had her fish tank she just put in the stuff from walmart and she never had a problem.

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The Wal-Mart brand is called " Start Right", made by "Jungle". It removes Chlorine and Chloramine. Its about $6 a bottle.

IMO it works as good as any. Another option for water changes is to have another tank already filled/treated, then pumped into the tank that is being used. I've set water out before and it works most of the time but not always. I found it best to have water set aside, pre-treated, and aerated already. I use salt but only on shad/herring, I think it's best to keep gills and herring separated unless your fishing.

Tanks take some work and it depends on what you want. You can change out water all the time and have some fish kill or slowly work on running bio tanks of some sort and your fish will thrive. But in the end if you want a good running tank it will take aeration, filtration/cycling, etc. to keep fish alive all the time and not have to mess with water changes.

19. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    The fridge would probably work great. You could keep different baits separate from each other.