Bait tank time....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Salmonid, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    With river temps hovering around 52 and lakes around 50-52, it is time to get the bait tank set up and start looking for the hardy bait, the ones that tolerate new water, no algea and such. I usually start with bullheads and Goldfish and after the water has run a week or two, then I start with green sunfish if available then add bluegills and then LM bass and then lastly Shad, suckers, Shiners and Chubs which are all short timers in a tank so I wait until the season is in full swing before I get them. Gotta use them within a few days before they die off.

Anyone else got their tanks set up yet?

I had 2 fish kills last year both due to extremem hot days and loss of power for the aerators. Hope that doesnt happen this year.

Salmonid

2. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Been moving the last few days Mark into our new place. Hoping to get my home tank set up next week. Set up will be, two 55 gallon plastic barrels. One for holding bait, the other for water changes. Trying to find a swimming pool pump for it. Seen one the other day on a blown down pool from the winter. Left a note, hoping they'll contact me about it...

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The one I bought for the boat last year I had to pull out, and it will be out until I rebuild the front deck on my boat so its underneath the deck and out of the way.

I just bought a 100 gallon aluminum tank from TSC for the tournies this year, that thing would work awesome as a bait tank also when its not in use. Lookin good for Flathead food!:eek:oooh::smile2:

4. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Do you run a aireator for the touraments.That sounds better than my cooler,with no air.My Buddy used his truck to haul a 56 lb flat to get a picture .He may have lived.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yes I do run an aerator for the live well

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    runnin an areator in your livewell is a must, especially on those hot summer tournaments. You keep your catch in a livewell with no air running to it, you may not have any live fish to weigh when its time to weigh in.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My bait tank runs 12 months out of the year, I usually always have atleast a few baits on hand even in the coldest months. I also keep a good supply of small chubs and minnows during the winter and spring cause I do alot of crappie and gill fishing during the winter. I have around 40 gills and small crappies on hand as of now, atleast for another day or two:roll_eyes: rollo

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How often do you guys have to change the water? Do you add any chemicals to take the chlorine out? How long do the baits live in a tanks?

9. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have the perfect bait tank, a spring fed pond that runs into a 250 gal steel tank. Works year round and the running water is its own aeration system.

10. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just aquired a horse drinking tank. It is 8 feet long and 3.5 feet deep. I need some advise on how to set this bad boy up. Ive got a line on a "pond pump". Im planning on setting it up outside. Ive never had a big bait tank before. Thanks

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have also been wondering what you should add to a bait tank to keep the fish happy. After you get a good filter and aerator is there anything else I should add?