Bait Tank Questions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by e5catfish, Oct 10, 2005.

1. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    I need to set up a better bait tank and have a lot of questions about it. Already looked in the BOC library and have already talked to some of you and it's been a great help. Some areas are still not very clear and some areas raise some technical questions, at least for me. I'll post the questions and would appreciate any comments on any of them to try and help me figure out the best set up and understand a bait tanks requirements better. I have a 30 gallon barrell with only a bubblestone for now and need to keep from 2-4 lbs of minners in it. 1. What's the reccommended ratio of minners per gallons of water? 2. How much oxygen/aeration is required? 3. What's the reccommended temperature? 4. What are the danger levels of ammonia/PH? 5. How often are feeding and water changes? 6. What's the start up period? 7. What's the purpose of gravel? 8. How long does it take to get bacteria started? 9. Does bacteria keep right on growing in the winter? 10. Does bacteria continuously have to have aeration and fish to survive? 11. Does filter media need cleaned, replaced, or left alone? 12. What size gravel is best for the substrate? I know it's a lot, but I always appreciate knoweledge. Thanks

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok. lets see if i can answer some of your Q's.

1.on the gravel. it is a good thing. without it the waste builds up on the bottom of the smooth tank. every time fish go through it or you net em its stirred up causing clowdy water. thus more time catching bait. it also quadruples the area for benifical bacteria to grow in. i in a 30 gallon would use a mediun size pea gravel. about the size of marbels and green peas.

2 its reccomended that only 3-5 inches of fish per gallon of water. so in 30 gallons x 5. 150 one inch minnows or 75 2inch so on. more than that requires more filtration.

3. feeding. feed at least once per day. watch them. add food as they eat. do not put more in than can be consumed within 5 min. this clouds water with uneaten food. start with floating food. when ya figure out the amount you can use any type of food. just use what they eat.

4 go to a local pet shop. they can assist you in the test kit you will need to maintain a safe level of ammonia.

5 change 25% of water every two weeks. 30 gallon about 8 gallons of fresh water. this will help in eliminating the worry of ammonia.

6. benifficial bacteria usually starts growing in about 6 weeks of operation. you can speed this proccess by going to a local pet shop or garden center that carries koi pond supplies. some sell dry bacteria additive that will speed it up.

7. the bacteria should have constant airation. it begins to break down the healthy level soon after the air flow that causes current stops. the bacteria will survive the winter if the tank does not freeze.

8. the filter media should be cleaned. use water that does not contain chlorine. this kills the bacteria. same as when adding fresh water. use distilled or some other type. NOT TAP water that contains chlorimane. a chlorins and ammonia mix.

9. this size tank should contain a good airation system. a 8" bubble stone would be a good start. with a good electric pump. even a pond pump with the flow of water boiling past the surface 2-3 inches is good. creates a current.

10. the start up period should be complete within 6-8 weeks when the bacteria is growing well.

hope some of this helps. :cool:

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    u didnt say what your budget was or how much u wanted to spend. or if it is inside or outside. minnows are fairly easy to keep. here is the way i have done my tanks.i put a pond pump in the bottom hook pvc pipe to it and run up the side of tank and back down to the ground get an external filter to keep waste an ammonia down. run pipe through filter and back up tank and have it hitting the water like a waterfall for oxygen. i have a 12 ft x 3 ft kids pool with a 1400 gallon per hr pump.about 1300 gallons of water. my filter has a filter and a bag of fish tank charcoal inside of it that i wash out 1 or 2 times a month. the charcaol i wash with the hose pipe and let it dry in the sun and it will reactivate it to keep ammonia down.and i have it entering the pool from a 7 ft. drop. i use no gravel in the bottom. and algea grows to help feed the fish in the winter when u stop feeding them. bream, goldfish, minnows will stop eating when water gets cold enopugh and live off the algea in the water. feeding after they stop eating will cause food to dacay and raise ph up to high.i keep maybe a hundred fish over winter with only the dropping of the water for oxygen. i load it up in the fall cause bream are hard to get in the early spring. it has froze over for wks except where the water is falling in and lost no fish.sorry bout the long post but maybe this helps you some. i got the pool w-mart on clearance acouple of yrs ago in the winter for 39.00. pump cost 179.00 external filter 65.00 plumbing 10.00. just remember rule of thumb you want to circulate the water at least once an hr.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya that sounds like a pond setup. i have a 500 gallon goldfish and a 5000 gallon koi pond. the small one in the winter i disconnect the waterfall and use the pump to boil the water in the center. this keeps if from freezing over. leaves in the bottom will decay and cause poisinous gasses to build up and kill the fish. the whole in the ice lets them escape. fish kept outside in the winter also like was said don't need food. after the water drops below 50 degrees high protien food (most all sold) will not digest properly. if ya still want to feed them use wheat germ. low protien food source.

5. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    Thanks guys for answering all the questions. I know it's a lot, but knoweledge is the key to success. Thanks Whistler for all those links. I'll look 'em over right now and get back with you all, probably with more questions knowing me!

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    How fast does your goldfifsh grow? Theres a guy near me that has a big stock pond full of them. And I have been thinking of stocking one of our stock ponds with them for bait.
    The pond is aobut 1 acres in size. And is about 10 ft deep on one end . Also what would you feed them to help them out ?
    PEte

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    shoot. in my 500 gallon pond a few dozen goldfish 1" long will be close to 5-6" in just a year or two. they reproduce too. they grow fast. 3"year. the key is space. comets (common goldfish) only get about 8" no matter what but can reach that in 3 years in a good size tank. 200+gallon. a pond of that size. wow. how ya planning on finding them though?

on the food i use 50# bags of reg pond food i get at big r's. $13.99 lasts me 2 years or so.i have have koi at the 12" mark. :eek:

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks I think I will stock one and try it. I can put traps in or nets.
    Should be able to catch them with a throw net also. Just feed them and throw the net and catch them.
    Now I throw food out and catch the bream using the cast net. And can catch 15 or 20 per throw. But the pond the bream are in. Is over run with them. so there not that big.
    Pete

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i use trout chow i buy it by the 50 lb bag also. it is real well its what the local trout hatchery raise their trout on.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    going out on a limb are you pete k, shilo? just trying to adapt to everyones new names. in thinking i knew ya from the old board.

11. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    I now live in an apartment, so I no longer have my pond set up. I now have a 55 gal aquarium which will hold 2-3 dozen goldfish depending on size. I also have a 36 gal plastic tote, which i can keep 2-3 dozen bluegill and warmouth in. I have the tote set up with a 50 gal. aquarium filter, and a double air stone air pump. It works pretty well, not as good as id like though..Any ideas

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes Its still me Same user name.
    Pete

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hugh. don't recall the name (user name) but remember you. ok one more that i know know. the move has me cornfused. lol.