Bait tank question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bill in SC, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have been keeping my live bream in my aerated 55 quart cooler with the lid cracked open so the gases can escape. The bream seem to really do good in it since it is not real hot now. I use my well water in it, and I change the water every day or so so the ammonia doesn't build up in it. I haven't lost a single fish. My question is, what can I feed my bream? Some of them have been in there for five days, and I want to feed them so they won't starve to death. I have a large, old chest type freezer that I am going to convert to a live bait tank, and I hope to stock it up as bream are getting harder to catch with the cooling weather. My main issue is what to feed them. I realize that I have to cut off the aerator while they eat so the food doesn't get sucked into the filter. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Bill in SC

2. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Fish can go a very long time without eating. When i had a bait tank i never fed them. If you absolutely have to feed them id suggest something they normally eat in the wild. If they'll eat at all you're going to really have to be on top of your cleaning.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! I guess that I am just too tender hearted. I'd hate to deprive any animal of food, even if they will die as bait anyhow. I do stay on top of the cleaning of my bait tank. If not kept crystal clear, the filter gets stopped up. Once again, I plan to keep bait this fall for up to several weeks if successful, and I surely want to feed them something, if nothing but bread, oatmeal, or earthworms. I figured with as many folks here that had bait tanks, someone would know what to feed them.
    Bill in SC

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i have a 8ft x 10 ft pond in the front yard 2 foot deep that i have blue gill and shad in . i bought a big bag of fish food (little ball pellets ) at walmart .
    it works great

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I was going to suggest a commercial fish food, like Floyd says. Didn't know walmart carried something like that. Thanks Floyd.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I dont ever feed the bait in my tank but if I were to I would just use a pellet food or something similar.
    I use an old deep freezer for my bait tank. Its close to 160 gallons and the water has never gotten to 70 degrees. It outside too. I just use 2 aquarium pumps for aeration and thats it. I change half the water once a week and have never had any die. I keep atleast 50 in there at a time.

7. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Go to WallMart, Petsmart, petCo..... and get the SMALL CICHLID PELLETS. They should be about the size of BBs or smaller! Each fish should eat 3-5 pellets once a day! DON'T OVERFEED!! It will spoil the water FAST!! The pellets contain alot of food, so go easy! You can get a bag that is about the size of a 16oz paper beer bag for about 5 bucks!

Hope this helps!
    Andy:wink:

8. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I haven't got a big tank yet but in my large aquarium I keep a dozen or so bream from time to time. The ones in there now are eating those pellets meant to throw in a fancy pond of goldfish. They're not as small as BBs (I need to look for those) but smaller than catfish food you get at a feedstore. They pick them off the top of the water, chew on it a bit (yup you read right), and spit it out. Rinse, repeat until it's wet enough and wallowed around enough to eat it.

Over the summer we'd pinch up worms and feed them sometimes. Dropped a whole nightcrawler in there once. Let me tell ya what, them little fellers were scared! All ran to the other end of the tank hehe. Then one got brave enough and swam up, grabbed one end of the worm, shook it around like a dog with a toy, spit it out, and swam away. He did that for a while until the worm started burrowing in the gravel and I fished it out and pinched it up.

We also fed them grasshoppers. That was one of the kids' favorites... they'd catch up a bunch and feed them one at a time. Tear off one leg and plop them in there and watch how the bream hit the top of the water. Bought a couple of dozen gray crickets at a pet store once... they'd eat them too.

Hrmm... reading back over this I think I might be easily entertained... sure do like watching fish feed hehe.

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a 500 gallon bait tank in my storage shed.The pump I have on it will pump 1800 gallons and hour.Its a big swimming pool pump and it works well.I feed the bluegill and gold fish I have in there goldfish flake and dog food.They realy seem to like it because of them are starting to get potbellies.