Bait tank Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Phillybass, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    Ok guys and gals got any ideas for a live well i can put on my truck? I was thinking of getting a plastic drum cutting it down some and using a water pump.
    I want to be able to hold around 50 to 60 baitfish for a weekend or good night of fishing.:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

2. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    sounds like it should work, just have to make sure the drum is clean-clean before you use it or all your bait will be dead in a hurry, you can use a pump or an airator just use a 12 volt system you can hook right into your truck, for that many fish you will prolly need a 20-30 gallon tank and it woks best to keep water cool, i usually take a few bags of ice in a coolar and ad as needed , hope this helps:wink:

3. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i use a coupke coolers for my bait , well when i need that much. but i always feel, water quality is key. i use cycled water from my aquariums. but anyway . i fill a million water bottles with that water . and freeze them . and i let them float on top of my water . keeps water very cool. also it helps my bait from jumping out. and since i use good water . when them have melted and i feel my bait bucket needs new water . i drain some and poor the water from my bottles in there. which is still kinda cool. and you got a fresh supply of bait water . works for me.........

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That set up should work fine for your truck, I had a 50 gallon drum I cut in half and use on the boat. I actually have 2 pumps in there, 1 for aeration and 1 for current, keeps shad happy. Will be adding some air pumps and stones also, and looking for some insulation to wrap around the outside. Everyone has good points, I have also used the frozen bottle trick myself..Just make sure you have plenty of 12volt batteries..

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That should do the job

6. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Use a cooler. I have made a couple of these. The last one I made, was from a 10 gallon Igloo water cooler (see below). I am in the process of building one from a 48 quart marine cooler. I will be posting this in full, when I am done. A cooler will keep your bait better. I get kind of carried away with mine :big_smile:.

http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=3873

7. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    Wow thats a nice setup:smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    get you one of those 30 gallon rubbermaid storage tanks, they come with a lid...I think they are like 12 bucks at walmart, lowes, any place has them..put you a spray bar with a bilge pump in there, and a few airstones..I got this set up in my garage and I have kept 20 to 40 bluegill alive in that thing for a few months at a time..I really dont use chubs, but they will live in there for a long time too

9. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I in no way meant, that you had to build one like I do. I am not trying to push this idea on anyone. I just think that, using coolers is a more efficient way of keeping bait alive, in warm weather. A cooler has insulation and is more sturdy to haul around in the back of a truck. A spray bar with a bilge pump works great. Just remember, to keep that filter clean. I have seen one of these plug up, overheat and kill all of the bait (fish soup) :sad2:. A friend of mine had it, it was actually smoking :crazy:. For a big supply of large bait, I use my 100 quart cooler/ Bait tank.

10. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Phil
    I agree with the cooler part. I use a 130qt cooler. The one thing I do different than some people is I use an oxygen tank. This keeps more than enough good oxygen to keep bait alive. If it is real hot I will put a sealed jar of frozen water in the cooler to help keep the water cool till I get to the river.Ever since I started do this with my bait I have never lost any. Heck I have had shad alive for over 24 hours in my cooler that way and have never added ice or anything to the water.
    Get your self an oxygen from a small welder and the regulator. run your hose into the cooler and presto a great bait tank for your truck.

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    It will work fine!

I used a white (less heat build up from the sun) 55 cut down 1/3 and used the top to cut out a door with hinges. Used a piece of door foam/insulation when I reinstalled the top to keep down some leaking.

Then a KeepAlive 700 GPH pump and an oversize dual purpose deep cycle battery to replace the standard one in the truck....just needed to whip out a 5# hammer to do a little adjusting on my beater truck so the hood would shut, he hee.

It will run for 10 hrs before I start up the truck and let it recharge...maybe more but I don't push it.

:0a26:

12. butlersbeagles

butlersbeagles New Member

State:
    Ohio
    IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 750gph Aerator pump ($19.87), 2 alligator clips ($.97) and some flex tubing (don't remember how much that was).

I got an old 150 qt cooler and pulled the drain plug out of it. The aerator pump fits perfectly in the stock drain plug hole. I only had to drill one hole to run the flex tubing through. I then used a soldering iron to burn holes in the tubing to spray the water back into the cooler. The stock drain plug fit perfectly into the end of the flex tube to cap it off. I then used stainless screws to hold the tubing in place.

13. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I use a 75 gallon water tank [fiberglass or plastic] that the farm store's sell to water live stock out of .I think they are made by rubber-maid..they also have a drain inthe front on the bottom.. I install a 2 and a half inch gate valve for drainage. My local store is a RUAL KING...I then cut a lid out of half inch ply-wood .I then attach half inch pcv water line to the lid with conduit clamp's .I drill about 100 hole's in the pcv pipe that's attached to the lid. I then hook up my air rator[bilge pump from wally world.]to the lid attached pcv with a piece of flex hose ..I suspend the pump about 3 inch's off the bottom of the tank with a piece of trunk strap [it's a peice of metal 2 inch's wide with hole drilled the entier length of the strap used by plumber's and heating people to suspend pipe's and duct work]this way the airration systm is attched to the lid so when you lift the lid off the entire air system come off with the lid.I'v hauled live bait over 500 mile's and kept them alive for 2 week's in cooler weather.I''v had as many as 500 bait's in the tank and kept them alive with no problem's...I hope this help's.

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A cooler is the best way to go.

15. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Yea I used to mess with a cooler ...no more.... I forgot... The cost.. I'v got around $80.00 in mine .I have built six of these tank's 2 for me and 4 for some buddy's of mine and if your hauling much bait very far it is the only way to go..I also have the 35 gallon one set up to go right in the boat.After the fishing trip is over and the bait's gone you can put all the nice big catfish in the tank and haul them home in a good health condition .Try dropping a 40 pounder and a couple of 30 pounder's in your cooler .I hauled 170 crappie home one time from KY. lake in this tank and then kept them a week before I dressed them , never lost a fish..I also have mine where the will run off a battery or plug into a cig. lighter...I made my first one 15 year's ago and I'm still useing it.I don't how many cooler's I'v went through in that period of time......I also will haul crappie minnow's for the local bait shop home from the retailer's and that help's pay for some of the gas money or I'll take it out in trade [minnow's]I'v hauled as many as 10 pound of crappie minnow's home at a time..

16. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    Well went to wally world and got the stuff to make my tank should get it together tomorrow and its time to catch some bait. Hoping it warms up some dang wind was cold as heck today:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: