bait tank maintainance

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Steve Douglas, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    when fishing with live bait there are a few key factors to consider in maintaining a healthy environment for your live bait. most fisherman put an emphasis on oxygen ,but all the oxygen in the world will not remove the ammonia that is produced by stressed shad . ammonia is produced by gill function and waste. removing this will help keep your bait lively through your whole fishing trip. most folks that keep shad will tell you , you must have a round tank, but a properly maintained bait tank does not necessarily require a a round tank. shad will swim in circles when stressed trying to circulate oxygen through there gills. a filtration system is required to remove the toxins from the recirculated water, there by creating a less stressful environment for your bait. salt is another factor in keeping shad alive. salt will add electrolytes to improve gill function and to help lock there scales to there bodies to help prevent stress. temperature is also a factor in keeping your bait happy. the colder the water the more oxygen that is available, the warmer the water the less oxygen that is available. i find that keeping my tank water as close to 75 degrees as i can is the best. changing the water periodically will also do more harm to your bait. unstable water conditions will keep your bait stressed also. i know everyone that has tried to keep there shad alive has seen the foam on top of the there bait tank water , this is a result of high levels of ammonia. .... to help eliminate unnecessary contaminants from entering your bait tank, you must first cull your shad. after you catch your shad, dump them first into a container , that will allow them to shed there scales into that container instead of your bait tank, clogging your filtration system causing more stress. now pick your best baits out and put them into your salted bait tank. so to recap we need....

#1 oxygen

#2 a filtration system to remove the toxins from the water

#3 temperature, maintain at least 75 degrees

#4 salt adding rock salt ( a couple handfuls per 50 gal.) will help prevent stress.

using all 4 of these key factors will help you improve your success in keeping fresh bait alive. follow these guide lines and I'm sure your bait tank success will improve a lot.

AKWA-LUNG would like to help you in your bait tank success, we offer a stabilizing system that will not only remove toxins and debris from your tank water but also will violently inject oxygen into your tank water creating a more desirable environment for your bait. our system will first filtrate scales and debris through our debris strainer and secondly will remove ammonia and nitrates through our center flow media chamber. as water is passed through our all natural media material toxins are locked into this material preventing amomnia and nitrates to build up in your recirculated water. and last but not least will oxygenate the water
    this system can be installed on most any tank you may already have . if anyone has any questions on live/bait tank maintainance please feel free to ask.

good luck

http://www.akwa-lung.com

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think that this information would be a great addition to the BOC Library. Well wrighten and very helpfull post!!!!

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    very good information... i agree definetely should be placed in the library for future reference....good job....rollo

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    if you use your tank as much as i do between me and my dad using the boat fishing we average 4 days a week from march to end of november to first of december. how we clean your bait tank is its a 50 gallon shad tank is fill it with water and put a gallon of bleach in it and let it run around 12 hours then drain the tank and rinse well then fill again and put a box or 2 of arm and hammer baking soda in the water and again let it run over night 6 to 12 hours. then drain and rinse out . this will kill all the vacteria in the tank and clean all the pumps and filter trays. will be bright and new again. we clean our tank like this once a month.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I understand what you are saying here but, this sytem that Steve has is mainly designed for livewells for tournaments. It will also work well on a bait tank. This systwem (I have one) is one of the best closed system inovations that i have seen. Easy to clean and, gives you more time to fish and less time worrying about your fishes mortality.

6. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Great write up Steve!:cool2:

J

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The only bad thing I see about this system is. You have to pull all them scales and other stuff that is in the water though the pump first then though the filter. Kind of hard on the pump.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Those pumps are run by magnets that are energized with the 12v current and the impellers are tough. there are no parts in the pumps that scales will effect unless you try pushing them all through at one time and even then I don't think they would hurt it. The pre filter catches the scales and they never get back in the bait tank.

9. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Ok this is a great post, sorry, that i didnt see it before I wrote mine.

10. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    thanks for all the info.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO

That might be better stated as:

"Keep your bait tank temperature within 10 degrees of the lake/river water that you caught them in."

Nothing will kill shad faster than thermal shock - take them out of 85 degree water in the heat of summer and drop them into 65 degree well water in your bait tank and they'll be red-nosed and dead in an hour or two.

12. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Some great advice. Thanks for all the tips.

13. TCAT

TCAT New Member

State:
    mo
    thanks for the info great post

14. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Me and my son-n-law made a bait tank from a cooler he had on wheels,we put a pump in the bottom that has a foam filter around it,and so far it works great,probably will make another one,it will be round w/ insulation,think it will work just as good and about $400.00 cheaper..

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    LMAO!!!
    Is someone gonna pay you 250.00 to make it, LOL!!!

16. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I can tell all of you this much, this system does work and works well, this system will keep bait alive and healthy. its not hard to clean the scale filter you unscrew it and wash it off in the river or lake and put it back on within seconds your back up to running its not hard at all.

If you purchase one of these units you wont be sorry, that I will bet you on. this system is incredible. Your fish are more alive when they come out of this unit then they are when they go in, this includes bait fish and Catfish.

This system will be at several BOC events this year so please look up the unit at a gathering and see it in operation.

Thanks
    D/H

17. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    cheaper than what? you must have my system mixed up with someones elses.. my unit only cost 149.00!!!!!!!!
    your sponge filter may work good with removing scales , but how is it going to remove the toxins?

18. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a homade filter with a water pump? I'm running short on change as a kid and hate refilling my tank every two weeks then scrubbing the gunk and spraying it off... ect.

19. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    here you go . even though we sell the akwa-lung .
    this fella has come up with a decent homemade system that will work fine but there will still need to be maintanance to it .but this mite help you.

good luck

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69489