Bait tank Ideal?

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by ShilohRed, May 20, 2009.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The front livewell on my lund now does a good job of holding shad and skipjack. But thinking I have a 2 gallon bait tank that is build in right above the livewell
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Lund 1825 Pro guide/pics016.jpg
    The link shows the livewell on the right and the bait tank above it.
    Thinking of plumbing a pump to pump water out of the livewell up into the bait tank. Fill the bait tank with stuff just like a normal filter, then the water filters back down into the livewell. I think this will make it better and also allow me to not have to have a sit in bait tank in the boat.
    Yesterday we have around 40 shad from 7" to 12" in the well along with a few bream . We lost at the most 4 or 5 in 4 hours . Also this was without the pump running all the time. Had it on auto. so 3 minutes off and 1 minute on.
    What do you think of this setup? Thinking with the Batting and stuff in the bait tank. That is like having a 2 gallon filter.
    Pete

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Should work until hot weather. You may have to change out the water to keep it the same as where you are fishing. Good idea on having a big filter.
    Let us know how it continues to work.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jim I had bait and fish do good in it, last year even in 105 degree temps. But then again I will be running the fresh water pump a lot when I have bait in it also.
    Pete