Bait Tank idea

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCatter54, Jan 27, 2008.

1. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Ok, I was just looking at some of the guys bait tanks that they had set up at home, and I got an idea for one. I drew it up in google sketch so this is my idea.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii310/chadrunge54/Baittank.png

Hope it came up alright.

So anyway, I am in the fish keeping hobby, so I know a little about keeping fish alive, and the biggest thing that is important to your fish is keeping the ammonia levels down, which can be done 1 of 2 ways, either chemically which in the long run can be expensive, or biologically, which is more expensive up front but will save you money in the long run, or you can spend a ton of time doing water changes every day to keep you fish healthy, which I dont know about you all but I have a lot of shit to do, and changing out water in your bait tank is a low proirity, but keeping bait alive o fish with another day is a high one. Now dont get me wrong, you will always have to do some water changes, probably once a week, to keep the nitrates down, I will explain.

I would opt to go with the biological route, in my drawing you can see 2 large media tubs on the platform, these tubs are filled with something for the bacterai that will break down the fish waste into something less harmful to grow on. I have found that lava rock works great for a filter media, It has a large amount of surface area for the beneficial bacteria which breaks down amonia (fish waste). When you are keeping bait fish, many of you will be feeding them so they will grow larger, and stay healthy. The Fish eat, probably most the food, and the bi-product of this feeding is ammonia or nitrites in the water. These nitrites are very harmful to all fish and if not removed in some way will kill off your fish eventually. Like I said earlier you can remove these chemcially using soemthing that you can buy like shad saver, biologically, which is using bacteria in the media area to break these down, or they can be removed by doing frequent water changes. So I have opted to use the biological route, now remeber it takes a while for this bacteria to grow, so maybe just keep a few fish in your tank for the first few weeks, then you can add more until your tank has cycled (aquarium hobbiest term for you bait tank can handle a full load of fish and keep the water safe). Now When the bacteria breaks down the nitries it creates nitrates, which are less harmful to your fish, but left unchecked will still harm them, this is were your regualr water changes, i would suggest once a week, about 30% of your water, At this amount you wont have to worry about chlorine to much. The chlorine issue can be handled by putting water from your faucet into a container and leaving it set out for about a week, so when you do yur water chagnes jsut have a tub that hold the amount of water you exchange in you tank and fill it up agin before youleave, that way, no chlorine in your next water change. So anyway, this setup will keep your fish alive for a long time, hell, probably could breed goldfish in this setup.

The reason I set my tank up this way is the bilge on one side, and the water being returned on the other,is so the wate will have some flow to it what you cant see is that the media tubs, have PVC going out the bottom through the plywood back into the tank, Now that I think of it I will post a reply to this thread, and show everyone how I would setup the media basket.

Also with the tank, I would add a couple of areation device out in the middle just to make sure ecspecially if your tank is loaded with fish, that they are not getting shorted on air, though that is the good thing about these type of filters, they are called wet dry type of filter, and they expose the water to alot of air, helping with the air problem int he water.

Hope this helps, maybe gives some of you an idea of what you can do to have a successful bait tank.

2. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    So here is the media tub or barrel, You can get the eg crate at any lowes or hoem depot i think
    http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii310/chadrunge54/Mediatub.png

3. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Sorry that post didnt work here it is again

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii310/chadrunge54/Mediatub.png

Also, I wanted to add, that you can give your bait tank a jump start by adding nitrifying bacteria to your water, you can get this a your walmart, i think the product is called CYCLE, or there should be something like it at your petsmarts and petco's, just look in the aquarium section, and the item should say it contains nitrifiers, basically it helps mature your tank faster.

4. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    i think this idea will work

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    looks like a really good idea

6. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    one last thing, I havent mentioned anything about the prefilter media, this is to help trap all the large debris like fish scales, fish waste that may come through, and help keep your biological filter media from cloging up, the prefilter media is shown in my second attachment

7. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    That looks like a pretty good idea what you're doing. I have a biological filter on my fish tank and it seems to work real well.

8. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well big cat............. apparently you have missed all my post ,, lol.. but its good to know there are a few more aquaculture folks in here.. i too, have been in the fish keeping businesses,, i have been in the aquaculture business for fifteen years,, i raise and breed pure japanese koi fish in recirculating systems,, most of my breeders are over 12 years old and some are valued at over 3000.00 so clean water is a must for me..are and your system looks good and will most defiantly work.. nice job.... but there is a system that was designed by a fisherman for fisherman that is a sponsor here on the BOC..

http://www.akwa-lung.com/

we manufacture a smaller more portable unit, to aid fisherman there need to maintain and stabilize there bait(shad) tanks or in there live tanks, for a more healthy environment, while holding trophy fish temporarily in tournaments. this unit will filter in all three methods ... chemically( for real cheap,), biologically and mechanically!! plus we throw in a life infuser that will violently eject oxygen in to the water ,, all is this done with one 750 gph bilge pump.. the akwa-lung will mechanically remove particles through its debris stainer down to 21 microns, scales waste etc..we also have a secondary media filter before our center -flow canister is filled with a natural chemical media that removes the toxins from the water and can be used as a biological filter also, by providing a large surface area for bacteria to colonize.. this unit will stabilize and maintain up to 250 gallons of recirculated tank water

9. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    That is a great set-up, I did see it, however, my only concern was that say you have a 1000 gallon stock tank loaded with goldfish, without having the proper amount of biological media, you are gonna have to spend a ton on money on chemical media or a ton of time to get rid of the nitrites in the water, Maybe the Akwa-Lung will handle large loads of fish I dont know, I will have to look into it a little more, The Akwa-lung is a great setup I will bedifinelty be looking at it when I go to get a boat and need a setup on board to keep my baitfish alive, and my catches healthy.

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hey Chad,
    Those Akwa lung units work really nice and the price isn't too bad either. You might be able to filter your tank with less start up cost if you used his unit.