Bait tank help!!

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by FLATHEAD STEVE, Apr 22, 2008.

1. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    HERES THE DEAL, I HAVE A 100 GALLON RUBBERMAID STOCK TANK. I HAVE IT ALL SET UP THE WAY I WANT IT, IT IS AN OUTSIDE TANK, DUE TO THE FACT OF NO BASEMENT NOR A GARAGE. MY ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT IN THE WARMER MONTHS I CAN NOT KEEP IT "COOL" ENOUGH.... I HAVE LOOKED AT AQUARIUM/POND CHILLERS BUT THEY RUN FROM 500$ TO 1500$, I AM NOT GOING TO SWING THAT MUCH FOR A BAIT TANK SO IF YOU FELLAS HAVE ANY IDEAS I WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IT.

HERE IS A LIST OF THINGS I HAVE TRIED ALREADY:

TONS OF FROZEN WATER IN MILK JUGS...."ICE MELTED TO FAST"

REFILLING THE TANK THREE TIMES A DAY WITH COLD WATER.... "JUST PLAIN SUCKS" AND TOO GETS EXPENSIVE WITH ALL THE WATER TREATMENT I USE.

SHADED AREAS..... "DIDN'T WORK"

2. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    One thing I have done in the past is collect either some rain water, pond or lake water and freeze it in a 5gal buck or something similar. Of course this only works if you have a freezer big enough to do this.

3. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    We have a garden pond that about 100 gallon, and we keep goldfish year round.
    How about burying it? Put a cover on it to keep the birds and coons out.

4. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Placing it in the ground probably is your best bet. You will have a more constant water temperature. I can't remember what the temperature is but the ground stays pretty cool 2-3 feet down, even in the summer. Bury it and put a lid on it.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Burying it would be a good idea. If your grounds any thing like Ive got though its all rock here and hard to do that so I use a old chest freezer as its insulated and helps maintain cooler temps. The lid is also insulated on the freezer and this helps, makeing a insulated lid for yours will help also. Something else you could do is box it in with pylwood and fill in the void with expansion foam to insulate it.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    paint the outside of the water trough white,
    this will keep it somewhat cooler and keep water temp from rising too fast

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    THANKS GUYS I will have to try all these great ideas!!!

8. megacat77

megacat77 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The best thing we have ever found is an old deepfreeze. We keep about 50lbs of baitfish all summer using them. The key to this is insulation it keeps the water cool just like a cooler. If you are wanting to continue using the tank you have find a way to insulate it placing it into the ground would work. You can pickup a old deepfreeze that has stopped working for free most of the time. I have used them for years & found nothing better. I have kept bait alive for as long as a month in 100 degree weather using this system. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. We cover this system in our DVD along with lots of other bait tips & information on flathead catfishing. The DVD is the Set Lining For Catfish DVD available on our website or at most Gander Mountain Stores.

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have 3 big plastic containers that sit above ground and in the sun from 1/2 to 1/3 of the day. the water is pumped from the bottom tank to the 2 above it and it flows back to the bottom one through holes and pvc pipe. the top container is nothing but a large bio filter. I have the pvc from to pump to the top 2 tanks running under ground under the tanks. the ground temp keeps the pvc cool therefore cooling the water as it passes through. the water very seldom gets above 80 degrees. I have had no problem keeping bait all summer and winter.

10. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    At the bait shop out here in Blythe CA, on the Colorado river on the AZ/CA boarder(that would be in the middle of the desert) were we see every day temps of 110* to 120*, the bait shop owner uses a large pump to pump the water to four or five feet above the tank, above the tank he hangs a plastic soda pop create ( maybe 2' x2') with a piece of foam egg create padding lad in the bottom of it, he just lays the hose on top of the foam and lets the water run threw it and as it falls the 4 or 5 foot it cools the water, It also aerates the water and the egg create foam filters the water also , his tank is a large lug box bin used to in a fruit orchard as they pick there fruit and truck it to market, i would think he puts 100 gal of water +or- he keeps about 10" of water in the bottom,, guess he has something like 500 goldfish in it, its 4' X 4' and 36" deep I would think the water never gets over 75*

ill try to get a pic next weekend when were out there

11. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ok after looking at some pics of my 45lb flat:roll_eyes: from last year found a so so pic of the bait tank in the background , most of the time he has the creat hang higher then shown in the pic and it kind looks like it a milk crate in the pic think most of the time its set up with a soda crate:eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

12. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you could go to a garage sale and pick up a good old cheap fridge. Get some used scrap copper tubing and bend a bunch of coils that just barely fit inside a 5 gal bucket. Drill two holes in the door so to miss al the coils. Use plastic pipe to connect the coil inside the bucket to the bait tank and a small bilge pump. fill the bucket in the fridge with water and it should work, plus there is room in the fridge and freezer for cut bait, crawlers, beer. You should be able to do that for under $100.

It is different for everyone, but I have all that just laying around, minus the fridge that my wife wouldn't kill me for if I drilled holes in it.

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've heard that a spray bar will help cool the water a little through evaporative cooling.

I'm actually a little surprised that you are having problems with the heat.. you didn't say what kind of baitfish you are trying to keep, but I'm a bit south of you and I keep bluegill and sunfish all summer in a Rubbermade container in a mostly shaded area without any big issues. It just sits on the ground, and all I do is circulate and filter the water with a Pondmaster pump.

Other than the spray bar, I'd consider adding more aeration - maybe an aquarium pump - as warm water tends to absorb less air than cold and low oxygen may be the real problem.