bait tank help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by weathermantrey, Dec 13, 2005.

1. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I just bought a 24 foot pontoon boat so I can quit using my dad's pontoon when I go catfishing. Now, I'm looking for a good bait tank to use and I have a few questions. I want to get about a 30 gallon tank that is going to hold blue backs. Where can I place a water pump on a pontoon??? From my understanding the pump has to be below the water level. Can you mount the entire pump unit on the back side of one of the tubes?

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats what i have seen weatherman,transducer on one tube the pump on the other. i would use a plastic brum for the tank. make a lid for it too if your going to keep bait out in the sun. the sun will turn it green and nasty in a day or two. check the B.O.C. library for loads of tank info.

3. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    I can't find the library on this new website location.... Can you point me in a direction? thanks

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yes one of the rear tubes is were you will need to mount any aluminum welder can do this or you can take it to your local boat dealer an they should know or have a welder that does repairs for them. as far as a tank i would consider a water trought from tractor suppy or southern states or some where like that an make an inclousure for it. you can get those from 10 gall to 100 gall in galvinized prety cheap. an go to hard ware store for 1/2 or 1 inch pvc to plum your water pump in. that will fasten right to the bottom of your floor an you can bring it up between the tank an what ever you build for a closure for the tank. an then you will have a nice clean finnish with no tripping hazards aboard.

5. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    I was looking at buying a tank for around 300 bucks, but that sounds like a much better alternative... I'd like to have the tank insulated though, but i suppose when i enlosed tank i could spray in some foam insulation or something.. thanks for the advice. As far as the water pump goes.... in v bottom boats the pump stays dry i'm assuming. Does this mean that my pump could go bad being submerged in water all the time.

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    The pontoon I had had a bilge pump mounted on a bracket on the rear of one of the pontoons for the aerator. It was a factory setup. That way the whole pump was submerged. You will need to use a submersable pump. An aerator pump mounted above the water line won't work because it won't be able to suck the water up to it.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I guess if you buy a pump that is ment more as a sump pump type then you can just stick a hose down in the water can call it good. Another thing I would just buy a 30-40 gallon rubber maid stock tank. I paid 150$ for a 300 gallon tank.

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Weatherman, I have a Grayline bait tank and I love it, alittle pricy, but it will last you a lifetime. There durable, insulated, and it has it's own filtration system. The only thing that you would ever replace is the pump...