Bait Tank Filter Options

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bassadict69, Nov 20, 2006.

1. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    My neighbor has an old sink that is about 2ft deep & almost as wide that we are wanting to turn into a bait tank to hold shiners in between fishing trips.

What are my options to use for a simple filter?

I seen one tank on here that the piping came up over the top & the water simply passed through some type of filter in route back to the tank. It almost just looked like some sort of a/c filter material.

I need some ideas...Thanks!

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I use those blue fiber filters for the home. They are easy to cut to fit and easy to clean and reuse. There's also a lot of people that use batting material found in the craft dept at your local wally world. I've used both but my preference is the blue filters. It will catch the scales and crap that shad lose when they stress. Shiners should be pretty easy to keep.

3. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Thanks!

We have some company that changes our filters at work every 3 weeks. When they pull they old ones, they still look almost brand new! I will snatch them up before they get thrown away, wash them out & try using those.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    YOU can wash them, with water if you use soap besure and rinse real good.
    Their is several ways of using them cut and put in plastic, contaners, or make a wood frame for them.
    Jim

5. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i welded up a aluminum box and drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of it to put my filter in work great can keep a couple dozen shad alive for weeks in it so shiners should not be a problem to keep alive

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I am using the same filter you are but I have added, but not tried as of yet, an actvated charcoal pouch, like in an fish tank. It is supposed to help with ammonia build-up

7. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Here are a few pics of the tank I built...

Attached Files:

8. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I have some a/c filter material that I plan to use for a filter.

Any ideas how to do it?

9. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    It's prolly too late for you to go this way but i'd check the local pet shop and purchase a pump with the filter bags for large aquariums. Mine has 2 disposable filters with the activated charcoal. This way there is no need to buy a pump and it's easy to change the filters and keep on going.

10. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Went to Wally World on my lunch break & bought an aquarium filter for my tank. It has two filters & is supposed to filter out nitrates, ammonia & hard particles such as scales, poop, etc. It cost me about $20