Bait Tank Cleaning Help

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by buckeater, Jun 30, 2008.

1. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have a 1000 gallon round poly tank that i use a my bait tank. i have a 1000 gallon per hour pool pump to keep it airaeted and circulating. i only keep about 400 galons in it at a time so the bait is easier to catch.
    i was just wandering if there was any kind of chemical that would help me keep it clean because cleaning it out every week is starting to get old and not to mention i go through a brand new every time also and have to put a new on in once the water clears up.

2. swampeast

swampeast New Member

State:
    swampeast, MO
    I got a similiar set up to yours, and I go to a feed store and get the chemicals people use in there outdoor decorative ponds or goldfish ponds and they work pretty good

3. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah i just bought some stuff call green clean. i guess ill have to just wait and see if it works. i dont know if i applied it right though it had three different sets of directions on it.

do you take your fish out of the tank when you apply it. only one of the sets said to take fish out. so it kinda has me confused on how to use it.

4. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    nevermind about the last ?. i added some in the tank yesterday while i only had a couple of fish left in it. and the fish are still lively as they were and the tank is back to cyrstal clear water again. sure beats powerwashing it again.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Jake I dont have the answers to all your questions and it sounds like you have it under control.

If you have more problems my advice would be to go your local bait shop and see what they do to their tanks.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Also does your pump have a filter in it? I didnt see what you were using to filter the water.

7. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah it has a filter in it. i have enough to last me the rest of the summer then next year im going to just take out the filter in the pump and make one myself. some type of sand filter probably so i dont have to waste money on any more filters.
    i think i have it under control now that i know the stuff works. it just gets to much sun light right now. earlier this spring and early summer it didnt get that much light.

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A large bio filter would work and they are easy to build. just cant put anything to kill algea in it because it will kill the good bacteria that grows in them. also alot of algea treatments work for a little while but the algea comes back. it kills the algea by reducing the amount oy oxygen in the water so watch the fish to make sure what you are using doesnt deplete to much oxygen or your fish will die.