Bait Tank Build-up

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by DH84, Jul 21, 2008.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Well i decided to build my own 30 gal livewell based on the knowledge i gained here and there i hope i will be able to keep a shad or two alive in it.. so heres my process...

to begin with i wanted to make sure i had...

-Round tank
    -good aeriation
    -fresh water in-flow
    -a way to drain it
    -insulation for those hot days
    -and a good filter system (i realized this about halfway through)

Heres my 2 barrels i got for free.. the 55 from my girlfriends dad and the 30 from a crop duster facility (they used it for roundup)

[​IMG]

I put an LED on the side of the smaller barrel, a drain on the bottom, a fill and an overflow with a strainer on the top

[​IMG]

Next i cut an access hole in the bottom of the large barrel so i could attach my drain plumbing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i put the smaller barrel in the large one and i foamed b/t them for insulation with urethane expanding foam that i use in some of my boatbuilding (www.uscomposites.com)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well here i ran into a problem... when the foam expaned it pushed the smaller barrel up and on a slight angle causing my drain to be on the highside of the bottom, so i end up with a small amount of water left after i pull the plug... frustrating.. but oh well

Finally i hooked up all my plumbing to my recirculation (bilge pump) with a valve where i can switch from aeration to filtering to pump-out. I also added a switch panel for control of my pumps and lights with a cigarette lighter plug for my master power to the board which i can plug right in in the console..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my fill comes from a 1100 gph rule on the transom of the boat, i simply coiled up 14' of 3/4 inch tubing from the pump in the bilge area... when i have my tank in the boat i uncoil it and plug to the fill barb on my tank (i hate permanently mounted things in the boat) this runs off of my boats aereator switch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For my overflow lines i just hang them over the side, my pump-out is 3/4 and my overflow drain is 1-1/8 (the pump out valve can be switched from aereate to pump-out by pulling the red fill fitting out and in)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the filter, like i said earlier i already had the tank made before i realized i needed a filter system so this is what i came up with.. (anyone who understands this better i welcome any advice on improving my design.. i hope it will work) the recirculation runs into the container which has holes drilled in the bottom.. i put filter pad in the bottom on the holes and charcoal/ammonia remover pellets on top of the filter pad.. the water runs though the filter, through the holes, and back into the tank by a drain tube located in the bottom container... (the filter pad isnt in this picture)

[​IMG]

Thats pretty much the design but looking back i think i could have just bought a top of the line tank for what ive probably ended up investing in this one :embarassed: in the beginning it was a simple design but i put my obsessive twist on it to make it "perfect" and since i didnt have much lying around the house at the time i had to buy most everything, but id go crazy without a project to work on...

any input on how to make it better is much appreciated... the only thing im considering changing at the time is moving my aereation downtube from the fill to the aerate/recirculation (red head)

[​IMG]

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have been thinkin about something to keep bluegill alive in the garage so I always have bait on hand. Let us know how it works, or what you change to make it better. Thanks for posting the project, it gave me some good ideas.

3. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    no problem, i think its a good design, it just needs to be perfected a little more in some areas

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Does your water have a current to it when it runs back into the tank?

Shad need a little current in the water ...

5. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC

when im running it with the fill, through the downtube aereator, it will make a circular current. The only downside i found is when i had a couple gizzard shad in there the other day they would get stuck b/t the tube and the side of the tank..

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    You should name that the Robo-Tank with all those lines and wires running around it! Looks like it has good intentions but one thing you already will notice is that any obstacle in the circular flow of a tank will get crowded with shad, they just cant seem to swim away from a tube. Maybe you could turn your out flow tube in the direction of the water flow creating a smaller obstruction? I use a simple homemade bait tank that I have a keepalive aerator/pump suction cupped to the upper 1/8 of the tank with the nozzle pointed at a 20 deg angle down along the side, it seems to keep the shad happy and swimming under the pump. The only filter is the small keep alive filter that I clean every couple of hours, once salt and shadkeeper are added the fish stay really frisky. One tidbit, make sure you use water that is no more than 10 deg cooler than the lake water in order to keep the temp shock down, use 1 cup salt per 20 gal and 1 cup shadkeeper and you should be sitting pretty.

Good Luck

Bill

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Come on Rob, fess up; you're going to brew beer in that thing aren't you:wink: ...W

8. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC

haha, it looks like a time machine or something to me.. im sure ill get some interesting comments at the ramp

yea i may try angling the downspout a little more to help with that problem