Bait suggestions for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by flathead79, Aug 29, 2006.

1. flathead79

flathead79 New Member

State:
    wv
    i have fished for several years with blue gills and creek chubs for big flatheads just recently i've started using gold fish but not having much luck on them in my area of wv shad are hard to find any other ideas for bait thanks for any replies

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd say to stick with the blue gills and creek chubs. It may be the area your fishing just don't have that many flatheads in it. It may be they are off their feed, it may be you need to change your tactics...but, a natural bait is better than anything else you can fish with - unless it is an old telephone - and that is EXPENSIVE.

3. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I agree with shucks completely, your bait doesnt appear to be the problem it is most likely the time of day etc... you are fishing or the spot you are fishing, I use a lot of the same baits and usually do fairly well except for here lately where I cant seem to catch a cold. Stick with it change tactics a little see if that helps :big_smile:

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The only other thing I can offer you is the size of the bait. Try bigger and smaller.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    we usually have good luck on suckers and small drums. also, a lot of members of the BOC use bullheads and small carp. I have also had good luck with cut bluegill heads.

6. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just as wolffman said,suckers,carp,bullheads,bluegills and large creek chubs.

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    live eels are also a very good flathead bait (The NC state record was caught on live eel) but if the flatheads are there they can't resist a bluegill. So I would agree with the others they may not be feeding when you are fishing for them or they may not be there....

We have found about an hour before sunset and up until about midnight and about sunrise to 1-2 hours later....or on rainy cloudy days seemed to be the best feeding times for the flatheads in the river were fishing...

hope this helps and good luck...

8. Xterra_Man

Xterra_Man New Member

State:
    wv
    I use bluegill heads, work great

9. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The brothers have listed alot of great flathead baits. Start taking an assortment with you, flatties can be finicky!

10. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i've had my best luck on bigger flatheads with live nightcrawlers, 8-12 on a hook, with alittle thread around them to keep little farts from eating them off. also live soft-craw's.

11. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Over in INDY where i,m from but in fl. now. I used gold fish but i tryed to pick the white ones from my bait tanks cause the fishermen didnt like the white ones but i couldent get a cat to bite on the gold ones but i did get a ton of bites on the white ones, also i sold a little fish in my bait shop that looks like a blue gill but was called a pumpkin seed there not real big but the flat heads ate them up. hope this helps. try the white ones befor you give up on them... Good luck

12. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    As I was told many years ago, Always feed them what they are used to feeding on. Good Luck

13. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    blue gills gold fish waterdogs live bait in general minnows perch.blue cats lol just kidding but i have caught flatheads on trotlines that a bluecat got hooked and flathead got the blue...good luck

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    3-4" bluegills with fins pinched off and tail,with scales scratched off one side from tail to dorsel fin.it will get'em if flatty swims by.