Bait Sugesstion

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by capt.kirk, Nov 28, 2005.

1. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

Get the largest bait shrimp you con find,peel them add shad flavor,scent,
    leave them cool and blend for about 24 to 48 hrs at about 38 degrees,
    before you are ready to go set them in the sun till they just start to turn
    black,and you have a bait that can be hazordous to the catfish population.
    if you have any left over put them in a freezer bag to use for chum,for your
    next trip.this bait has proved its self time after time.it works really well at,
    my favorite place to go being TURKEY CREEK LAKE in edward madard park,
    770 acres of prime water ranked in the top 10 catfish lakes in florida.
    KIRK MATTHEWS
    NEW PORT RICHEY FL.
    kirk@microd.com :cool:

2. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just go to your local fish market or super market that sells seafood. Sometimes the manager will give out the old shrimp and save them for you if you get to know them. The medium and large work great on a 6/0 kahal. I have soaked them down in various solutions and even used them instead of a sponge for dipbait. If you really want to get them stinky, put them in a glass jar with the lid on and let it set out in the sun for a few days. Just open it down wind from your partner is my best advice!! I have even been known to put in a few raw oysters for fishing over the clam beds in rivers.

3. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

THANKS TO TEAM WHISKERS
    for that sugesstion on the sea food shop,free thats real close to free,
    THANKS
    KIRK

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have tried shrimp flavored with vanilla, garlic, seasoned salt, and even threw in a marinade, worked pretty good. I forgot about it in the trunk of my car for a week and thought I would still use it, seemed like it would still stay on the hook, but the smell was unbearable, had to get rid of it. But it does work. Thinking about trying squid next. :D

5. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is a way to infuse these shrimp and other types of meat with solutions like shad oil or even your favorite dip bait that will work. Go get yourself what is called a Pump and Seal. No they are not my sponsor for the various critics, just a trick I will use on the Pro Tour at times. You can also use other vacuum seal products also. Use a glass jar with a good lid on it. The best way to do this is to bring up the vacuum inside the glass and let it sit for a few hours, shake it a few times and then release it. This will infuse the meat or shrimp. If you dont believe me, do it with an onion and red food dye. Repeat this process several times. Now you have the choice of leaving it out in the sun to rot or put on ice to keep it fresh depending on the type of baits, technique used or water you are fishing on..
    This is also a good cooking tip for your bbq grill with steak by the way! Just dont use dip bait and shad oil!

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sounds like what you're aiming for is a bait with both shad and shrimp flavors. I've successfully added shrimp flavor to baits by putting them into a ziploc bag and adding several flavor packets from shrimp flavored ramen noodles. I haven't tried this with shad, but since it worked on other baits, it should also work on shad. I'm going to try the same thing with some powdered cheese sauce mix, to impart a cheese flavor.

7. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You never really know what they will bite on at that moment depending upon the conditions. It is always good to have atleast a half a dozen combinations in the boat to test the taste buds.