Bait: small eating fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by KYFlatHead, Sep 21, 2009.

Best bait for small eating fish

1. cut minnow

2. live minnow

3. chicken/koolaid

4. shrimp

5. night crawlers

6. doughball

7. dip bait

8. secret 7

9. bluegill

10. goldfish

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KYFlatHead

KYFlatHead New Member

State:
    Manchester, KY
    Best Bait for eating fish

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    For small cats, crawlers work best for me. That is, if you can keep everything else from eating the bait first.

3. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    This has been a horrible year for me as far as catfishing goes. I have caught 5 turtles and 3 catfish. Two of the catfish were caught on Secret 7 with the biggest being around 2-3lbs channel. The 7 works but boy does it stink.:wink:

4. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
  5. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    got to go with worms

6. KYFlatHead

KYFlatHead New Member

State:
    Manchester, KY
    i like to try alot of things:)

7. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    dead minnows,crawlers and secret 7 not in that order but thats what i'll use

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    My question is??? Where is the (all of the above button) on the poll???:confused2: I fish a variety bait with mixed results depending on time of year, location, and a host of other factors that I can not explain. I fish mostly with natural bait with shad and bluegill being at the top of the list for me. Creek chubs would be second choice.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  9. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I didn't see a option for punch bait, and that's what I normally use for eater size fish. All of the bait listed though does catch fish..lol

10. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I catch a lot of eaters on worms Maybe because thats all I fish for them with:smile2:

11. festus

festus New Member

I'd rather fish with nightcrawlers and minnows. Mostly because I like to fish for anything that swims and maybe I'll also hook up with a crappie, walleye, sauger, or yellow perch to eat.

12. KYFlatHead

KYFlatHead New Member

State:
    Manchester, KY
    theres some HUGE carps in a pond i fished before i mean like 3 feet close to 3 1/2 i want to hook one of them wales what would i use to catch em ive never done any carpfishing:angry:

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ken hit the nail on the head here is a example I've got some homemade stink bait that has only worked in the Cumberland river period !!! I have tried it other places . Worms on the West Fork river in WV . Liver down from the boat ramp @ Boonesboro and little minnows at that dam....I have tried theese and more baits at all and more locations shrimp,cut shad,cut gills etc....Had i not tried all theese baits I could not know what works best in each area .Fish can be picky and different in a 1/4 mile stretch of river . Your bait bucket/cooler should be the heaviest part of your gear ! LOL !

14. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    on the very rare occassion that i go out to a lake just to catch some eaters or just good off i like to use secret 7. mainly just to be different and to get away from all the dead fish. and when useing it yeah it does stink but you never have to touch it so u can semi stay clean. and anyone who uses shad and what not knows thats almost impossible

15. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    For eater size fish i use night crawlers or chicken livers but liver was not listed in your poll

16. KYFlatHead

KYFlatHead New Member

State:
    Manchester, KY
    sorry forgot about chicken liver i just made this real quick to start some conversation:smile2:

17. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    small fish = Small Bait

Big fish = Big bait

It may not always hold true, ive seen five pound flatheads eat a 8 inch bluegill, but you can surely help narrow the field by using bigger or smaller bait.

18. KYFlatHead

KYFlatHead New Member

State:
    Manchester, KY
    went to my pond today bites are getting slow 2 catfish and a bass :(

19. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    eating size cats i find that secret 7 will out fish everything else almost everytime.But i also like using liver and chicken and kool aid

20. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    JAMES,

you make think im lying, but add some cheap vodka to your cherry chicken and let it soak over night and it will add a little something extra to it. i dont know why but it works better than plan cool aid.