Bait/Skippies

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by quigley257, May 18, 2018.

1. quigley257

quigley257 Member

State:
    MO
    Howdy all. Long time, no post. I left Missouri and have settled in western South Dakota. I am supervising the rifle shop for H-S Precision here in Rapid City. I miss the big rivers and big fish. I have been forced to chase the Channel Cats in smaller rivers as well as the Missouri around Pierre. I also miss being able to hit the Tennessee dam and catch my own Skipjack for bait. Im looking for suggestions on where I might get some frozen skippies. I've been suffering from sticker shock at the prices some of the online places charge for them. We do have decent populations of Goldeyes here but they seem to be a "one at a time occasional catch" type of deal. Any tips or tricks for catching or netting them? Does anyone have a freezer full of old skippies they would be willing to pack a couple dozen in dry ice and ship? Will be picking up a cast net and attempting to get some shad this year. It will be our first time doing that. We mostly fish the downstream side of Oahe dam. Thanks and good luck!! -Quigley

Catpaw likes this.
  2. SemperFiCatfish

SemperFiCatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Trevor
    You could possibly just use bluegill. You can catch them fresh and fresh is always better than frozen. Just an idea. Good luck this year up in SD.

SHOWME likes this.

3. tac eulb

tac eulb Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Fished for skips today at Mel price didn’t get a bite wondering if run is over

4. quigley257

quigley257 Member

State:
    MO
    I understand the fresher, the better. I've never had good luck on Bluegills. I've done alright on Goldeye, shad, chicken, shrimp and of course skippies. I'm regretting giving away my stockpile of frozen skippies when I moved from Missouri.

Aceoky likes this.
  5. Snagman23

Snagman23 Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Sam
    Sent you a PM I think. This website is so slow I can barely use it anymore.
    I've got 20 or so big skips I need to get rid of if anyone on here needs them. I'll sell them for what I paid for them from Moses, $1.40 each. They average about 1# each.

6. torn8ochaser

torn8ochaser Well-Known Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Name:
    Dennis
    Sam - where are you located? If you still have those skippies, I'd buy them. I am down to about 1/2 dozen in my freezer