Bait- skipjack or shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by 18lbflathead, Nov 18, 2006.

1. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Should i use skipjack or shad for catfish?:confused2:

2. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    either one works well but around here shad i think works better

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ricky,
    If you have both, use both. The cats will let you know which is the bait of the day...W

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    our river system doesnt have any skips so i think shad works better here, but skips do work good. i noticed skips dont freeze/thaw as well as shad do either.

5. jimmyk

jimmyk New Member

State:
    virginia
    I would use both and see which one they prefer. You will probably find that somedays they want shad and others skip jack.

6. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think it depends on what's prevalent in the water that you fish.Around here (east Texas),shad is the #1 cat getter.When I was in Louisiana fishing the Mississippi river,skipjack seemed to work a bit better-for bigger fish anyway.Has anybody ever tried a live skipjack.Seems like that would be good for big flatties & stripers too.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    They say both are good baits. but I cant never seems to catch em's.

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to start out with both live skip jack and shad if possible along with some golden eye and flying carp. You can always use the Scent, Sight and Sound technique if necessary. The bigger the better for Trophy presentation of the bait.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have found it to be quite the opposite. Skipjack will stay firmer than shad will. I always freeze them whole.

10. Broke Tip Fishing

Broke Tip Fishing New Member

State:
    Tennessee/ Nashville
    I used skipjack in TN on jugs and i was catching alot of turtles. Has anyone had that problem?:tounge_out:

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    You mainly want to try to match the hatch. If either or is prevalent in the body of water you are fishing, I would go with that.

12. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    scott,
    my wife is the best on Turtles and Gar fish.Once in a while she will catch a fish.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Cats love them both. I usually fish with both everytime out.

14. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    where are you guys catching skips at? What are you catching them with? What kind of structure do you look for? i am not sure if my river system has this species of Herring but i would like to find out if it does.

15. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Here in California, in my fishing waters (The Calif. Delta) it "Shad & Channel Cats". But my Good Buddy ("J.W.") Has told me about the "Skipjack & the Big Flatheads" and how well it stays on the hook (and I belive he know what he's talking about), and alot of other members of this site have good results using both baits (Looking at the photos of there catch).
    :confident:
    So I guest it all depends on where you fish.
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

16. catfishinginky

catfishinginky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i prefer shad for the ohio river but skips seem to work well in lakes round here

17. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    the blue cat fishers around here say skipjack heads work best,, been to three cat tournament weigh ins here,, the guys with the biggest and most blues all say they caught em on skipjack heads in 60-75 ft of water.

Now i fish for flatties, and live shad seem to work best, I have used live skipjack when i get some in my throw net, (which is few and far in between) but never seem to get much action... so i would have to say live shad for flatties in the Mississippi river here, and skipjack heads for blues.
    As the other guys have said,, matching the hatch, and trial and error is the only way you'll find out whats best for your waters and area, and i would say matching the hatch is the most important

18. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jason,, the guys around here that use skipjack get them from below the dams of lakes,(as close as allowed) they use light tackle with 2 or 3 crappie jigs tied on,, throw it out a reel it in,, they say catchin 2 or 3 at a time isnt uncommon,,, they will spend a day going to a lake just to get stocked up on bait.. of course these are the guys that freeze them and use em as cut bait for blues

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    1. I've had much better success freezing skipjack. Frozen shad just turn to mush when thawed out; even if I manage to get some to stay on a hook, the cats don't like it much. Now, I've had excellent results using fresh, bloody shad.
    2. Turtles seem to like shad as much, if not more, than skipjack.
    3. While "matching the hatch" is usually a good idea, don't be slow to change your baits if they aren't working. Lake Ouachita, Arkansas has a large shad population, so I assumed that they would have to be a good bait. My buddy and I set out several trotlines to get some fish for a fish fry, and didn't catch a fish the first night. By immediately rebaiting all lines with fresh liver, we managed to catch enough cats without having to move any lines.