Bait size?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by georgiamike, Nov 14, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I use livers for bait, I wrap them in pantyhose, leaves you with a ball of liver. My question is how large should the ball be and does it matter. I usually use balls that are about 1" accross. I was wondering if I went with a small ball would it decrease the number of strikes? All these ball problems, I dont know what to do.

2. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I would use it maybe 2" across they will hit it regardless. They can usually eat regardless of the size.

3. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Never used liver for bait before, but I have been amazed as to how big a piece of shad some kitty's have gotten into there mouths. So use any size till ya find the perfect size.....

4. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I find that the size of my bait has a direct relation to the size of the fish that takes it.

As far as liver goes, I use it quite often. I have had good success using it raw and just hooking it on as is.

But, that said, I have also prepared it in several ways to make it more pungent. You can add things like garlic powder, or anise oil, or powdered cheese (like you get in the macaroni and cheese packages) for this. You can also sun dry them after adding these things to get them to stiffen up a bit so that it hangs on the hook a little better.

Also, using chicken gizzards and hearts is a good method if you are having problems keeping liver on your hook. The gizzards and hearts are more durable in currents and while casting longer distances or with heavier weights. Place the gizzards and hearts in a baggie with chicken livers so they marinate and pick up some natural juices. Leave this out at room temperature for enough time that the combination starts to smell foul - or you can put the baggie in the sun for a shorter time (that will basically do the same thing).

Using panty hose or cheese cloth (or you can use roe netting) works a little better if you have soaked it in the blood of the livers over night.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv heard of people using gause bandage to help hold livers , personaly i dont use livers i try to stick with the bait i catch at the river with my cast net .

as far as the size of bait its been my findings the bigger bait the bigger the cat , that being said iv often wondered how big the fish would be if i used a whole chicken

6. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    What part of Texas are you in?

I am in South Texas and we use liver and panty hose as well as panty hose with Lewis King's puch bait.

I think you are doing ok with the 1" ball. In my opinion, if you aren't getting strikes then increase your bait size or change your rig.

~Nathan

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I just use, the livers on a trble hook.

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When you use liver, you sling it like crazy mainly to get the blood scent in the water. It is like using dip bait as the livers are great if you grind em up and throw base ball size at them with a few hooked sacks. Lob it out there with a 5 ounce weight to get it to the bottom. Then slowly drag it in and rebait. This will get your scent trail running. Plant your other poles according to the hole structure using the liver filets with your other baits.

9. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I talked to a guy from America about three years ago who was fishing the same stretch of the Rio Ebro as me and my brother. I'm sorry, but I can't remember his name - maybe he was in the BOC! He had just caught a nice wels of around 130 lbs. His bait? A whole chicken, feathers and all!!

:big_smile:

10. greg12345

greg12345 New Member

State:
    NC
    Catfish have large mouths...you can almost never go too big if you want a big fish.

11. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    What type of other liver-fishing methods do you guy's incorporate when fishing? Ever chum with guts or anything?

I have chumed before and was just wondering.

12. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My great grandfather used whole rabbits on the Mississippi River. Imagine the size of fish that would hit that...............