Bait Size

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Drawout, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    How big is too big ?

2. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I would say as far as carp go 1/4 - 2 1/2 lb is ultimate then it starts to get pretty big 3lb and up is hard to cast.

3. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Are you serious you fish with a 3lb bait...Omg

4. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I'll second that,.. OMG!!

5. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Man i think a 5'' perch is hard to cast,i cant imagine trying to cast a 3lb carp!!

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I remember my first bite on a 1 pound carp. I was holding my pole shaking, thinking this is going to be my new personal best. I gave it plenty of time to inhale the bait, then wham, set the hook. I realed in a flathead no bigger than 10 pounds. I was pissed. You would be amazed how big of bait they could fit in there mouths.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Must be using huge hooks to hook a bait that size.

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    :worship: :worship: :worship: I now see why i havent broke any records lol .

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Come on guys i need some good replys.

10. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Johnny, You can catch a 11lb. bream,on a 10lb. grasshopper......:lol: :big_smile:

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    it all depends on the rod your using... i wouldn't cast anything out more then 1/2 an ounce worth (shad, bluegill, liver, worms) or such with my ultra light but i would easily with my medium rods and such... on my heavy action rods i wouldn't be against tossing out a 1/2 lb offering or more... just feel your rod out to know its comfort zones and it'll tell you plus with a large bait like those you won't get the casting distance. esp from shore like a somewhat smaller bait will.

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Some of that is awefull big bait, I like shad 3 to 6", bluegills 4" to around the size of my hand. Any thing bigger than that I use as cut bait. I wouldn't use a 3# carp on a trot line unless it was cut bait,I'd be afraid it would whip the cats off!!

13. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    lol me too that is big bait i definately need to go up a notch or two on my baits :big_smile:

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I like to use Huge Chunks of 12+ inch Gizzard Shad for big Blue Cats, can't beat those heads. I just use 10/0 J-Hooks, I have used 13/0's and prefer them really but they are hard to find around here now.

15. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I use the biggest bluegills I can get some I fill bad sending out cause we could be eatum !!!!:big_smile:

16. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx for the reply mike and welcome to the BOC lots of great people here.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught my biggest flatheads of 50 and 40-lbs on small bait, the 50 took a piece of shad and the 40 took a 4inch bluegill..I like to fish with baits appx 6-8 inches long...I cant imagine casting a bait as big as 3-lbs.

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    johnny: for channel cats, i use a piece of cut about 1.5in. square or a glob of danny kings. for flatheads i use gills in the 4 to 6in. range, live and halved fresh. we used to use the biggest bait we could get, but found that it was not necessary. i can keep a lot more small gills alive in a bucket in summer heat than big ones. more bait more fish when they'er crankin!

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Johnny, Im sure youve heard the old saying the bigger the bait the bigger the fish. I have seen people that beach ball and they will use a 3 lb. carp and catch 70 plus lb. fish. but thats all they are after is big fish with that size bait thats all they will catch to is either a big fish or no fish. I just like to catch fish so I stick with smaller baits from cut shad or whole 3 inch shad up to a 6 or 8 inch perch. Then match my hook size with the bait size. I catch a big fish on occasion but Im rigged up to catch any size fish. My biggest fish is a 43 lb. blue I caught on a little head off of a 4 inch shad. So you can catch big fish on little bait but you wont catch little fish on big bait or at least not a 3 lb. bait. 777

20. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    WELCOME Mike! great to have you with us. I agree, there is a fine line between food and bait when your talking gills that size. That usually falls under one for the bucket, one for me. We use whole shad 3-4lb. for the big sturgeon with a weight the size of a tennis ball to hold it down. We don't cast, just drop it over and bounce it out. The current in the Columbia below Bonnieville Dam is amazing. When you catch a fish that you can stick your arm in up to the shoulder to get your rig back it's not so incredible.
    Don