Bait size - How big should they be?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by balddaddy91, Mar 16, 2006.

1. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    Can anybody tell me what size baitfish i should be using mine has been around 6" bluegill or creek chubs ?

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    BD, are you fishing the Ohio River or where? It depends on what you are after, it sounds like your after Flatheads which love big bluegills and chubs so I would think using baits up to 12" would work if you follow this simple equation, lbs of fish rounded to the nearest 10 lb mark
    10 Lb = 4" bait
    20 Lb = 6" Bait
    30 Lb = 8" bait
    40 Lb = 10" Bait
    50 Lb = 12" bait
    60 Lb = 15" bait
    70 LB = 18" Bait

Now we all know flatties can eat bigger baits then this equation but as a general rule, Im thinking it is for bluegills with fins and stuff so this is a good general gideline to use, I cant remember where I read this but it seems pretty accruate as a starting point.
    Most important thing would be to match the bait size to what the river cats are eating so if the river is full of 7" shad, by golly Id bet all the flatties are eating 7" shad

I hope that helps
    Salmonid

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I know they can eat much bigger, but I use exclusively 4 to 7 inch sunfishes (mostly bluegills and redbreast) - mostly becuase they are readily available in the river, and are good tough active baits.

Using bigger baits will "weed out" some of the smaller flatheads, but a 50 pounder will hapilly munch down a palm sized bluegill, and perssonally I don't mind catching a few 5 and 15 pounders along the way. Plus, you have to go to heavier tackle just to handle the big baits that some guys use.

4. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I agree, with the above. I have never personally fished with a bait longer than 6". Bigger is not always better,,.. as long as your bait is in the right spot at the right time, it'l get ate. My biggest come off of a 3 " rockbass.

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Pay attention to Marks' post. If you get bored go small, any fish can take the small but the big bait scares the small fish.

6. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i caught my pb on three baby shad. which is nowhere near the size bait i usualy present.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My theory is that a 500 pound fat man on a couch will not get up to get a cracker across the room, but if he see's and smells a t-bone acorss the room he will make the effort to get it!!!

Same for fish.

When I am trolling I usually use four rods. Three have 2"-4" pieces of bait and one, the "pig pople", has a big chunk the size of your palm on an 8/0 hook. I still get my fix of 3-5 pound fish, but the big bait is there in case there is a big boy around.

One thing is certain, make sure you match your hooks to your bait. Bigger baits need bigger hooks.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If I remember correctly, in the Oklahoma Fishing law/regulation booklet, it sates that if your after flathead of 50 lbs or greater, to use about a 2 lb carp as bait. Now, I don't know what that is in inches, but how in the heck would you control that on a fishing pole? That carp would go where it wanted to...

9. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I totally agree when I'm after smaller fish I don't really care about bait size, hey you better believe when fishing for big fish I don't know what size I'll stop at. Just like if you gotta a 20oz porter house sittin in front of some little kid, he'll like the aroma but it's going to take that Man to put that bad boy away.

10. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I haven't seen the bait-to-fish conversion table before - pretty cool! But if I ever catch a bluegill OR chub that measures 18", he's going on the wall! :p

11. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    i like gold fish6 to 10 inch and that is the same for the gills

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    flats will eat anything of any size that they can cram in their mouth. but the best all purpose size to use, for dinks and hogs, is a bait about half to 3/4 the size of your hand. ive seen 3lb dinks caught on 1lb white bass, and 40lb hogs caught on gills the size of a .50 cent peice.

13. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It depends what you are targeting. If You are a trophy hunter use a big bait (5plus in.). If you're happy catching any size, use 3in. to 5in. A 70lb flathead will jump on the oppertunity to eat a 3in. bluegill as a 7in. bluegill.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Are you catching fish with the size your using? if your answer is yes, then my answer is use that size... if your not, then experiment... try smaller or larger till you find what the fish want...