Bait size and season

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by wayne1967, Aug 25, 2009.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do smaller baits work better as the water gets cold? The reason I ask is it seems that guys that ice fish use really small baits.

2. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

Hmmmm, thats weird. I never herd that. Its possible?! Maybe...

3. festus

festus New Member

....it's true, because a fish is cold-blooded, and when the water gets colder, their metabolism slows down, and they're less hungry. So it makes common sense that a smaller bait is better.

4. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    It is true. I use this system. Spring-small baits, Summer-big baits, Fall-small. I caught my first 30 pound fish on a 2 inch goldfish when the water got cold.

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif
    ive noticed durring winter with water temps below 38 degrees or so they take a smaller piece of cut bait about quarter size the best or 3 to 4 shad heads off the little 3 inch shad

after water temps break over 45 degrees or so they will take bigger pieces of cut bait well .

spring with warmer water temps 60 degrees or so they will once again hit live bait and bigger pieces of cut .

summer months i use live shad and gills allmost every time ,, i usually have 6 poles out with half cut bait on and the other 3 rods with live bait .

as far as fall same as summer until water temps fall below 55 degrees then its back to cut bait

flatheads this is even more important on size of bait and water temps

very very rare for a flathead to consume a large bait when water temps drop below 50 degrees because there matabolism drops very low in cold water temps , small slender baits 3 inches and smaller is better ...

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For the blues it dont matter, they feed more in the winter.

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    My bait of choice is Gills size of a credit card:wink: