bait shop in lafayette

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by wabashriverrat, Dec 31, 2009.

1. wabashriverrat

wabashriverrat New Member

State:
    indiana
    Is there enough of a demaned for a bait shop gear toward catfish . I'm talking fresh skip jack ,shad ;and the normal baits . tackle for river fishing big sinkers big hooks and rods and reels. mainly the stuff I have to order from say catfish connection.

2. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Only if you live near a big river section like the ohio river. Not much use for a tackle shop in a area that doesnt have big lakes and rivers. Otherwise you can get just about what you want from walmart.

3. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Do you have an name, address & phone# on them?

4. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    there use to be sportsmans lodge up there that was pretty decent about carrying a few things for cat,s but they were mainly general fishing . i dont know of anything else up there??? closet one i know of is in crawfordsville. they are pretty well stocked for anything. and will tell you what,s hitting where and on what from the local lakes and such . with the tipp river up there and wabash they should have call for a good bait shop but i don hear of many brothers from around that neck of the woods

5. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    A bait store owner told me to always let him know if there is something you want him to carry. He said he could check to see if he's low on stock, but if it's a product he doesn't carry he won't know theres a demand for it if we don't ask for it.
    I imagine if he's asked several times a week for catfishing supplies he would try to make them available.

6. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    yes , Abbott's bait & tackle 2522 kossuth st. lafayette , ind ph 765-448-1108
    they keep live shinners and suckers , frozen shad , livers , live crawdads when they can get them , plus the regular stuff for bass and panfish . and a limitted supply of mercury parts , rods and reels .

7. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There is very little that caters to catfisherman in Lafayette. Abbott's Bait & Tackle (Kossuth Street) like Vince mentioned carries quite a bit of actual bait (shiners, frozen skippies, shad guts, shad sides, etc) but very little else for catfishing. Sportsman's Warehouse was a huge asset to fisherman in this area but closed due to company bankruptcy in early 2009. There is a Dick's Sporting Goods at Tippecanoe Mall (Lafayette on Sagamore Pkwy South) but they don't have a huge selection either. Their lead weight and hook selection are especially dissapointing when it comes to catfish.

There was talk from a guy I know about opening a bait shop that caters more to the river fisherman in the area, but I have no idea if he has followed through with it at all or has scrapped the idea all together. If I hear something about it I will be sure to post about it.

Your best bet for a good selection of stuff for catfish in Lafayette is still the internet, for now.