bait selection

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by Wac M Trac M, May 2, 2009.

1. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Was out on lake Travis with a friend who knows the lake well. We netted shad, perch, carp and tilapia. We only kept the shad cause that was all he ever uses. Yall think that shad is the best bait to use?

2. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Fresh shad is my personal preference hands down.

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Fresh shad would be my first choice also. There are times that all the other bait yall netted work very well also. If I catch bait like that, I will usually try a little of all of it.

4. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    Are you talkin Trotlines/Juglines/Thowlines
    ... or Pole fishing?

I would also use them all, Use the fresh shad during the day & early evening. When you go out ~11pm-ish to run the lines, then hang the live bait (Perch, Tilapia) for the monsters that feed at night and early mornings.

If your just Rod & Reel fishing, tough to beat a fresh cut shad.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    ALL of those fish are great bait both live or cut. The tilapia is especially good for livebait but it is illegal to "throw them back" without the guts removed. So I usually just use them as cut bait.
    The shad are the best most of the time, but sometimes blues will get lockjaw for shad. I will start using cut and live perch late in summer to get them then. In dead of winter shad is harder to come by, I will use the carp then. I have always had fantastic luck with carp. They make a bloody, oily, and tough cutbait that works for hours on juglines.

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Shad has always been good bait for me but I like to try diffrent things.I heard that talapia was great cut bait for blues.I have had real good success on cut perch for blue too.If you can fish 2 to 4 rods iI would suggest using diffrent bait until you see whats hitting the best.

7. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    If you net shad, carp, perch, and talipia, use them all to see if the fish have a preference. They all are on Mr. catfish's menu. Sometimes we want chicken instead of hamburger. Same thing with fish, so give them a variety and you will do good. Catfishjon

8. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    shad is ok but it depends on the lake and what you are going after if you can get you some bullheads use em they are by far the best bait imo but all the bait yall caught is good always take a variety they may not want a certain bait that day

9. kitty_lover

kitty_lover New Member

State:
    texas
    how do you prepare the cut bait? never used it?

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if it is a small fish, cut off the head. Then cut the fish into 1" x 4" strips. Use the guts, tail, head, everything. The oils and blood will attract the fish.
    The head is the bloodiest and oiliest part. Plus it is the hardest part to get off of the hook.

11. kitty_lover

kitty_lover New Member

State:
    texas
    Do small bluegill work the same way? Ok to cut them up and freeze them or just freeze them whole?

12. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    you can do it either way i personally prefer to freeze them whole in a small amount of water so that way whenever you do let them thaw in the bag the junk in the bottom will work great on a sponge hook

13. kitty_lover

kitty_lover New Member

State:
    texas
    I always wondered about those sponge hooks...do they work good? you just dip them and sink them? how long does it stay on the sponge? thanks for all the info?

14. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    it works ok not the best but can catch some decent channels usually with it and it will hold the scent for about 20 mins