Bait runners

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Shenandoah, May 4, 2009.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm Looking to get a new spinning reel and I want a bait runner style. After looking through cabelas, basspro and gander mountain, the only models I've found are from Okuma and Shimano with freshwater and saltwater reels. I found alot more Okuma models than Shimano and I like the looks of the Okuma better but I know nothing about them. Any suggestions will be great thanks.

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Both are great. I have Okuma Epixors and Shimano 6500's. If you go with the Okuma's get the Epixors, worth every penny. If your wanting to use these reels for the rivers get the Shimano 6500's, youll be glad you did. Awesome drag, holds alot of line, etc. If its for lakes and rivers, either the big epixor or the 6500 will do fine. If its just for lakes, you could step down to a 4500 or 3500 , or Okuma Coronado or Avenger. If your going to spend some money, and want it to last for years, get the 6500's. If you ever have a problem with it, Cabelas will exchange it, no problem. Hope this helps. :cool2:

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I own several of the okuma expixor(eb90) and shamano 6500s I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.I also have a shamano 650, one of the first baitrunners they made . It still works like new and is 25 years old.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'm with dale on this one and i own a 450 thats close to 18 years old. i also have an epixor and a coranado and you can't go wrong with any of them. where do you plan on using it? river, lake, ect?

5. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    Don't overlook the Penn Slammer, which now has a baitrunner model. Penn Slammers have been handling big fish for many years. Rock solid with a great drag.

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    ya hit the nail on the head with this post, very true, i have 2 shimano's and 1 okuma and love them, the cabelas salt striker is also a decent reel for the price

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Penn also has the Captiva with the live liner... that is one sweet reel!!

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
  9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Bert, You better grt a bigger tube for your poles....yuk, yuk....:big_smile:
    You all ready got an arsenal hen you come down to fish:big_smile:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I also have 3 of the Cabela Salt Strikers. I like them well too. I use them for channel cattin, trout, wipers and other fish, but my Shimano 6500's are exclusively for the big boys.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have two shimano 6500's one with 40lb, and one with 50lb test. Drags are great on both. have caught 40 pound range flatheads on them in the last 10 years, no problems. I'd suggest a rod no less than 7' 6".

12. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for all the input guys this is what I was hoping to hear. I mainly fish the shenandoah river witch is a tributary of the potomac so I'd mainly be going for small mouth, occasional large mouth, and channel cats usually <20lbs. I'm gonna put the reel on an ugly stick and was originally thinking I'd use a m - mh 6'6" or 7' but I'm now thinking about going with on of the ugly stick lites mostly a m 6'6 or 7' but possibly on of the steelhead rods. I like the longer rods for casting distance and the lighter weights for more fighting, plus what I might catch wont really be that big plus I use kahle and circle hooks so I don't need to worry about a powerful hookset. If i go with the shimano I'm thinking about going with the 4500 and all I've heard is good stuff about it. Just not a fan of cheaper Penn reels and the reviews I read weren't that good. If its the Okuma it will be the Epixor in the 50 or the 65. Right now I'm 50-50 on the Shimano or the Epixor. I'll probably have 14 pound test on the reel as well.

13. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My vote is for the Penn Slammer. Toughest spinning reel for the money out there. The Baitrunner reels are top of the line though too. I would be comfortable with either one.

14. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    Btr is a nice reel if you are not fishing near a lot of sand. 3500 is only a little lighter than the 4500. I would choose the 4500, bigger drags, a little larger capacity than the abu 6500. its got the fastest retrieve of all the 3 sizes. theres an a and b series. the b series is heavier.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have Shimano and Okuma both myself. Both are great reels.