Bait run turns into a fishing trip.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by GatorT, Jul 17, 2009.

1. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Well, Sunbird and I headed out to Wateree last night planning on doing a bait run. He and I checked out some of the bait spots that have paid off for me in past years, and the bait was there.

But then I started playing with Sunbird's fish finder and wanted to check out what some of my favorite fishing holes looked like. Turned out to be a good thing - I had spent a few years away from the water, and apparently my memory had not held the details of my fishing holes as well as I thought it had. Some of them, not even close. But using the sonar, we were able to find exactly where the spots were that I had thought I'd been fishing all along!

I made a lot of noise yesterday about needing to be in pretty early. And since we were going on a bait run, I didn't have any of my tackle. But we started marking some fish, and we had plenty of live bait on board, so it didn't take much for Sunbird to convince me to use all of his fishing equipment and wet a hook.

But, just because the fish are there it doesn't mean they're hungry. We fished several different spots, and had a good time, but didn't land anything much. Biggest in the 22 pound range. And it was still one of the best fishing trips that I've been on in a long time. Good company, good conversation. We were on the water past first light.

Jonathan's a great guy, and I'm looking forward to fishing with him in the future. Many thanks to him for a great trip. (But I was cussing him once or twice today - maybe three times, while trying to drag through work.:smile2:)

2. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    A 22 lb fish sounds good to me. That Sunbird done got too use to hauling in those 40+ lb monsters. Don't let him spoil you. Curious on what kind of bait ya'll catching up there? Do you keep them alive at home or freeze them for the next trip?

3. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Jason- We were doing the gizzard shad thing. And, yes, we sometimes keep them alive and, yes, we sometimes freeze them.

And you're right. A 20lb fish is a pretty good fish. I wasn't trying to down play the fish that were caught. But there were some real hawgs that were marked. I was just kinda disappointed that we couldn't get any hook-ups on them. But, like I said, it was still a good trip. I guess it all depends on who you fish with.

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Great catch Guys!:wink: Glad ya had a good time and Smacked a few.:big_smile: