bait questions...

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by thelastcast, Oct 28, 2008.

1. thelastcast

thelastcast New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's getting colder, therefore most all fish (including shad) will be spending most of the time down deeper. I know of several good bait areas where the water is warmer most days, but i'm already having a hard time finding the big shad. Nothing but the little ones. Should i try throwing the net in the same areas, just in deeper water? I know if it were easy nobody would need guides....but my new net is already taking a bad beating on just 2 trips. Deeper water?? Warmest water?? Or both? Which is more important for finding the BIGGER shad?? thanks to all----> Randy

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've seen big shad pulled from the same shallow flat year round, including the coldest of days.

This season has been different, I can't find them anywhere, shallow or deep. I'm setting my net 10 times as long for fewer shad.

3. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    The only luck I've had is finding them in about 10ft of water in the tributaries. Then I'm letting my net hit the bottom. Only caugth'em in pairs and singles. Good luck.

4. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    This time of year can be hard for shad big cold fronts scatter them out once barometer stabilizes try backs of creeks in shallow water this is where wee are finding them on the potomac

5. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    hey josh did you get your boat fixed yet?

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Just down size your hook and keep fishing with the smaller shad. If small shad are all your catching then that's what the fish are feeding on. I've caught some big fish with small shad wormed on a 7/0 kahle.

7. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    A lot of people are having problem with bait. This can be a tuff time of year. I normally catch them in 5 foot or less, accept when it gets like 35 36 degrees. Thats when u rely on you DF and look deep, Normally not to far from where u found them the first time. I hope this help. Just remeber when it gets real cold bait fish are looking for warm water in there area. Hope this helps.