Bait questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by cepierce, Aug 8, 2008.

1. cepierce

cepierce New Member

State:
    Scott AFB
    Hello all! Time for mt weekly new guy question. I read where a lot of these big Cats are caught on Shad. Are they alive? And where can I get them? I had bought some chopped up Shad at Wally World but wasn't sure if it is what I need. I know some people catch their own bait, but I am doing good to catch small Channels.
    Thanks for any input!!
    Chad

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Chad it is best to have fresh shad. Those you buy at wally world don't work near as well as fresh. Ask other fishermen in your area to help you locate the shad. Most fishermen don' t mess with the shan except big cat fishermen. U can use the shad live or cut them up and use em as cut bait.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Like Kevin has said. Fresh shad either live or dead works best. Check with some BOC members near you. I'm sure they will help you out with getting started gathering bait. There is also dip bait that works well for channel.

4. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hey Chad, I catch my shad in an 8 ft. cast net. Rivers and medium to large lakes are where you will most likely find them naturally occuring. A cast net can be somewhat intimidating to try atfirst, but if you start small and learn it well,you can figure out how to throw even the largest of nets. It's easier to find them poppingon the surface in the early morning, or at dusk in river backwaters and oxbows, or in the mouths of coves or swallow water in lakes. There are also a lot of good videos with instructions on how to throw one. One of the best videos i've found is on In-fishermans "Big Cat Safari". Good luck and GOOD FISHING!

5. cepierce

cepierce New Member

State:
    Scott AFB
    Thanks Gentlemen! I appreciate the information. I hope to be posting pictures of some nice catfish on here in the very near future. I have found everyone on this forum to be very helpful and patient with all my questions.
    I am proud to be associated with such a fine bunch of fisherman.

6. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chad, My buddy who fishes Carlyle regularly says there are plenty of shad on the lake/usually in the shallows. You will see them poping and throw the net into them. We use a 4' cast net which is a bit easier to handle for me than the 8'. A suggestion, hook the shad through the body and let the body bend with the hook, causes it to move somewhat like a wounded fish especially if drifting. Seems to work better to increase the bite.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Shad are very hard to keep alive, so I have had my best luck using them as cut bait. You can catch just about any type of cat on cut shad. The fresher the better.

8. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I have found that there is not a lot of difference between cut and live shad. thus, I don't get too upset when I look into my baitwell and see a bunch of "floaters"!:wink:

9. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Where is scotts AFBIN what state if it is Tex.we might get together to fish a while. THanks Sam Davis

10. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chad, if Shad are hard to get where you're fishing, fish for some blue gill first and use them for catfish bait. There fun to catch and make great bait.

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    chad . i get my shad at carlyle spillway using a dip net , or snag them .
    I fish in nashville area alot and use worm and bobber to catch them there as i need them .