bait questions?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by matt22va, May 27, 2009.

1. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Just a few questions with bait if you guys could give some info: How do I consistently get gizzard shad? I may come up with one every now and then throwing my cast net at the lake. Sometimes I see them around the lights at the dock and I can throw at them, maybe one or two larger ones will be there and I can get them sometimes. Do Gizzard shad hit worms? I was catching bait along the bank like I've done hundreds of times and I hooked something heavy. didn't fight very well but was alot of fish on my ultralight. It looked like a shad when I got it to the top but the hook pulled so I can't be for sure. Next question, How do I get bait if I go up to fish around noon? I have no problem catching bait at dusk or dawn but if I'm going for an afternoon trip I'm pretty much stuck with frozen. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
    Matt

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Just a shot in the dark but maybe you hooked onto a white perch ? They could resemble a Gizzard if you see them in the water for a split second.

3. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Matt -

In the summer time, your shad are going to be moving in the deeper water during the day. You can usually find them around bridge pylons and rocks in deep water. Also during the day, creek mouths produce well, where they dump into the channel. At night, go on up into the creeks in shallower water.

This is going to sound crazy, but take you a notepad and go an hour before you want to start fishing. Spend that whole hour using your depth finder, checking out the bait. Make notes - the time of day, the time of year, water temp, and location. Write it all down. You have a much better memory than I do if you can remember any of this kind of stuff with out writing it down, even just the next year. So next fishing trip, go an hour early.

Even if you find bait before you use your hour, keep going, check out new places. Each time you find bait, write it down. You'll get where you not only can find bait, but you'll get to know the channels and the flats as well. You'll learn the rocky bottoms, the mud bottoms, the sand bottoms, just by chasing bait. So you're killing two birds with one stone.

The real trick to finding bait is knowing the body of water your on. And keep in mind, bait fish travel - so you need to learn their patterns.

This is starting to sound like a bunch of rambling, so I'm gonna stop here. Hope this helps you out.