Bait question

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by mr.whiskers83, Sep 8, 2008.

1. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I happened to notice the other day that at a local wally world, there were packaged chicken hearts and gizzards. I thought to myself that sounds like something to try for catfish bait being that they are in a pound package and are just as cheap as livers and should definitely stay on the hook better than livers without much work. I was just wondering if anybody has tried hearts and gizzards for bait? I haven't really got to mess with em yet so I'm not sure how bloody or anything they may be so I might have to do something with that to help in the attractant department.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    gizzards and hearts don't work near as well as livers unless your trying to catch turtles.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A somewhat cheap bait I like is minnows. In this area, when you go into a bait shop and ask for two dozen large minnows, they don't count the minnows. So, normally, when I ask for two dozen, they give 4 to 5 dozen. I'll use 1 1/2 to 2 dozen on the first trip and freeze what is left in quart zip-lock baggies. Then, when I next go fishing, I add tap water to the zip-Lock and by the time I'm ready to fish, the minnows are thawed. By carrying a little extra ice, it's a simple matter to keep the bait cool so it won't get too soft. I simply thread the minnow onto a 7/0 circle or a 6/0 Kale hook like you would a worm.... start at the mouth and run the hook inside the body, bending the minnow to fit the hook. The point finally comes out near the tail fin. I just make sure there are no scales on the point and chunk the bait, set back and wait.

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    try some raw chicken tenders. a package of them is fairly cheap and the channels love them.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Recently cooked a turkey and saved 2 hearts, and liver for catfish bait. I have to say I was not impressed. Nothing seemed to want it. Had a few minor bites but nothing caught.

I actually had more bites on chunks of boneless skinless chicken thigh's.

I'll stick with a dozen nightcrawlers, and cut the first suitable fish caught into catfish bait.

6. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    What Kevin said.
    I've tried both on several occasions when I left the wife in charge of buying me bait. They had no livers so she bought me hearts or gizzards rather than coming home with no bait at all. I applaude her effort and won't complain to her but I wouldn't recomend using either. If I go to the store and they have no livers I'll but night crawlers or shrimp. (when on sale)