bait question

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mark29860, May 25, 2008.

1. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Since I don't have a bait tank how well will it work to keep my shad and herring on ice I would think it would stay fresh but I am still pretty new at this and any info is appreciated. thanks

2. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Putting the herring on ice will work good, but you need to put them in a ziplock bag with some papertowel. The key is to keep them dry if you dont they will get soft and wont stay on your hook.

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Mark, shad and herring on ice will be good for about 24 hours before they get to soft. Many of us catmen catch/buy our cut bait and put them in a bag on ice the day of and the day before our fishing trip:wink: You shouldn't have a problem with in that time frame:wink:.

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    One little thing I do extra is ,after I get them home, put the bait in a bucket of water and slosh them around just a second to get the rest of the scales and goo off them before I put them in the bag. I think the slime makes them deteriorate faster. Like the towel idea, it's just to keep down on the slime, goo effect.:wink:

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I aggree with all of the above.The towels work good and I'm gonna try Joey's trick too.

6. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Not to disagree with anyone but this is how I do it. I will get one of those lingerie bags from Walmart or wherever that is used to put the lingerie in when you wash it in the washer. These things are white with small holes it the bag and ties off on the top of the bag. Don't use your wife's cause that might not be a good idea. Buy one for fishing only. Never wash it in soap or the smell could transfer to the bait and kill the whole natural smell. Anyways get the live shad or herring put them in the bag. Put alot of ice in the bottom of a small icechest. Lay the bagged fish on top of the ice then pour more ice on top of the bag. By doing this, the ice will slowly melt over the fish to the bottom. If you use the ziplock bags, they tend to make the bait more mushy (my experience). I think it may have something to do with the stomach acids coming out of the bait cross contaiminating the other baits making them decay faster inside the ziplock. Others say that with my way the ice dilutes the fish oils so I guess you could try either and see what works best for you.
    Hope this helps,
    Jonathan
    bearfrog1@yahoo.com

7. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Makes all the sense in the world. I'll have to try it next day out. What gave you the brainstorm on this. Pretty darn good idea..

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    When I ice down the shad or skippies, I place the ice in the bottom of the cooler and salt the ice with rock salt like I was makin ice cream. I put the fresh caught and still alive shad or skippies directly on the ice where they "flash-freeze" in a minute or so. I open the drain to the cooler to allow the saltwater to escape keeping the bait dry.

The salted ice will keep the bait frozen and fresh a long time... just take out what you need and cut it. The bait will thaw quickly in the sun or in the water.

9. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Wow thats a good idea too! Does the bait still perform when it has went through the transition of freezing and thawing as fresh bait my way would? This is a good question I need to test next month when I return.
    Thanks for that rocksalt idea friend!
    Jonathan

10. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have had good luck with puttng a teaspoon or so of borax in a bucket with water and ice. Put your fresh bait in there for a few minutes and then flash feeze as the previous post said and it will last a long time. The borax seems to kill the enzymes that break down the flesh.

11. Webfoot

Webfoot New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks to all for the input (sounds like some good ideas) i'm going to do some expermenting with my bait. Thanks Mark for the good question.:wink:

12. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    appreciate all the info more questions will follow

13. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The bait bleeds when cut and it performs as if it was wiggling when cut even 12 hours after frozen... the trick is to keep the baits on top of the ice and out of the water. That's why I keep the drain open in the cooler. If it's really hot outdoors, I'll lay a couple of newspaper sections on top of the bait. Keep the top on the cooler and you'll have fresh bait all day.

14. mudflat08

mudflat08 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    We do the same thing joey does we slosh the in water to get the goo and stuff off then put them in a fresh bag.

15. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Keeping the baits dry is the key. When I fish for marlin in tournamnets I might rig 100 baits for a day of fishing the night before we go out . Tokeep them cold and good all night and day I use a metal tray on top of the ice in the cooler. The tray keeps the baits off the ice and keeps them cool. A layer of aluminum foil will do the same thing as long as no water gets on it. Dry your baits and get most of the slime off then put them on the foil in the cooler with ice on the bottom.

Attached Files:

• 40.jpg
      40.jpg
      File size:
      3.2 KB
      Views:
  16. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thats some good advice Cary.I've took alot of things from saltwater fishing that helps alot in catfishing.

I normally try to keep my bait as far away from the bottom of the cooler as possible.On top of the drinks is usually where that is and that gives the drinks alot of good flavor.:smile2: The cans are aluminum thats the same right?:smile2:

17. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    That Chris is one smart dude,he catches on real fast:wink:
    Thats some good info there Cary,thanks for posting,will give that a try.

18. JeanBerry

JeanBerry New Member

State:
    Kent,UK
    lingerie bag is exciting prospect which can be used for washing. It does act as excellent protective cover which helps in perfect cleaning of clothes..

19. JeanBerry

JeanBerry New Member

State:
    Kent,UK
    hello guys which method you implement to make washing more effective?