Bait Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by stinkbaitguy, Oct 16, 2007.

1. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    As you can tell by my handle ive always used stinkbait,chicken liver,night crawlers etc. Ive started to try some live bait and had some luck with bream.My question is would the big minnows you buy at the bait shop be a good live bait to use,and if so would it make any since to use those on bottom?

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yes, they will work. However, I prefer to catch or net my own bait. It's cheaper, and I tend to have better results with it. I would experiment both on the bottom and suspended slightly off the bottom. I would also suggest fishing a live bait and a cut bait to see which the fish prefer that day. Good luck!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have been using large minnows (for Oklahoma) that is about 3 to 3 1/2 inches in length. I run the point of the hook in their mouth and thread the minnow over the bend of the hook and up the shank until the point comes back out slightly behind the anal fin. Haven't thrown any off this way and the scent of the minnow (and its body fluids) seems to draw in the cats. Been fishing 24 to 35 foot of water and today was catching them at the 27 - 30 foot range. Rig a 1/2 ounce sinker, and suspend the bait on kahle or circle hooks about 18" above the bottom. Come to think of it, most of today's catch was on a shad head.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I usually catch my own shinners and they are my by far favorite live bait in the river I fish. A flathead will never turn down a live shinner and the blues love them too. It is a very stinky oilly fish and that must be why they like them.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If you are fishing for flats then stick with live bait as a general rule although this time of year a lot of flats are caught on cut bait including shad and perch heads. Big shiners will catch a lot of fish but you will catch more fish and catch bigger fish on a more consistant basis if you stick to using fresh or frozen skip jack or fresh caught shad fished live or cut. But keep that stink bait handy for those days when bait just isn't producing. Our go to stink bait is Danny Kings punch bait.

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I fish with big minnows a lot.We catch a lot of fish on them. I have never used stinkbait before.

7. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Mike i love to use stinkbait but the biguns just dont want it.to catch pan size its great

8. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I've caught some nice channels and blues on minnows. I use live bream as big as I can get.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use large minnows when I can find them. I use my cast net to catch bait when I can but during the winter I buy minnows.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Minnows do two things for me.....catch nice eater size cats and catch crappie. I'm sure they can catch larger cats but I haven't ran across any yet. I buy them sometimes to catch the crappie for bait, the heads work really good. Use them under a cork live for the crappie and take the dead minnows to the bottom for some channels. Even while trying with the cork will sometimes bring in the cats. My favorite baits are large bluegill, bream, crappie, and bass.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    When I say large minnows I guess I should say Ex-large minnows because they are 6-10 inch minnows.