Bait question

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by ridgerunner, Jun 14, 2006.

1. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Guest

I was just pondering something and thought I'd ask ya'll to see what you think. It seems to me that the best bait would be what the cats naturally eat anyway - smaller fish and what not. With that being said - why does stink bait work? Are we using dip bait and other homemade bait because it works, or because we think it smells good? I've read recipies from people that said when you open the jar and barf it's ready to fish with. If that's the case then wouldn't anything that stunk really bad work? Just some stuff I was thinking about. What do you all think?

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You Are Correct When Saying That THe Best Bait Is What Cats, Or For That Matter, Whatever Other Type Of Fish It Is Eats Naturally.

There Is A Saying, "You Gotta Match The Hatch". As Far As The Stink Bait Goes, I Believe That A Lot Of The Base Ingredients That They Are Comprised Of Come From Fish Oils & Blood Etc.

In Addition To That, Since There Is So Much Scent From Them, It Aids In Their Ability To Locate The Bait Especially When Other Food Sources Are Scarce. Remember It Only Smells BAD To Us Because That's What We Were Taught.

HTH, Elliot

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    not just anything stinky will work....cats always want protein.......so if they detect that bait as a source of protein they're going to look into it. oh yeah and natural=best

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Some of the things that PREDITORS in the ild eat we are taught to dismiss as food. Preditors usually go for the gut pocket first. It has the most vitimines and minerals for its weight. So that said , How does it smell? To us it stinks But to amimals it is goooood. I may be wrong. I am sure some one will have another view.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    People Very Often Confuse Smell With Odor. It Is In The Eye's Of The Beholder:big_smile: Elliot

6. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've fished with people that make their own bait and the older and stinkier it is the better it is they say. I have reasons to say that their right bacause they usually catch more or bigger. and yes their baits really does sitnk.:0a23:

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Honestly, i have never had any luck at all with stink bait, i only really use live bait or cut bait...Thats what works for me

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I've made my own ball & dip bait for years. I have never taken a fish off over 10lbs. when using either. Every catfish over that has come from live, or cut bait. I like to use my dip for 1+1/2 to 3lb. (eater) channel cat. I catch a boat load of "shakers" with it as well. In the middle of the afternoon, floating down the river, when the dip bait is smokin, I know it's time for a live presentation or a cut bait.
    Don

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i think stink bait works best in the early spring. the reasoning behind this is because when bait fish and other fish die over the winter they lay there because the water is to cold for them to decay. then in the spring as the water starts to warm up they start to decay and the fish are drawn to the scent of the oil that comes off them. alot of commercial baits have some kind of fish oil in them and they are already use to eating that. also alot off fish start spawning that time off yr and when they come off spawn they are looking for anything they can find and they arent gonna pass up an easy bite. just my 2 cents.

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    There is an elderly lady in the nursing home where my mother-in-law was at that said that her and her husband use to use nothing but strawberry preserves for cats. Now that is a good smelling bait, but with the wild ones growing all over then it is probably a natural bait that they like to eat. Also mulberries are another natural bait that the cats seem to lay under the tree and wait for the food to fall.