bait question

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by whiskercatcher, Aug 25, 2009.

1. whiskercatcher

whiskercatcher New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just got a cast net and went out today to catch some bait at alum. i was wondering if someone could tell me what i caught. they have a black dot behind their gill openings and their scales come off on your hands. almost like they just flake right off. any help for my curiosity would be greatly appreciated.

2. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    A pic would help but it sounds like a shad

John

3. whiskercatcher

State:
    ohio
    the pics not too good, but maybe it'll help

Attached Files:

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Yup, those are shad.

Not to poach your spot, but where did you find them? If you don't mind. :)

5. whiskercatcher

State:
    ohio
    the howard rd. area. i was getting at least 6-8 every throw. if you fish alum and wanna go sometime let me know. my buddy i usually go with is all about his new girlfriend, so fishing has gone to the wayside;)

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Honestly, I can't really stand Alum. However, I don't mind going there if I can get a bit of bait for use elsewhere. :big_smile: When I do happen to go there, of course the Howard road area is where I spend most of my time. At least that far, and more northern.

Now, if Alum had Flats...that would be a different story.

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Those are threadfins, excellent live bait for flatties.. blues crave em sometimes too.:wink:

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How big are they. The bigger shad over 3-4 inches are gizzard shad and the smaller ones are threadfins. I like the smaller ones, seem to catch more fish on them. I have done my own little study, casted my baits within 2 feet of each other and the threadfins caught more fish.

9. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Kyle thanks for the post and welcome to the BOC! Looks like a shad!

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Kyle.

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I thought I read here that the threadfins had the yellow on the fins. I really don't know much about shad ID but I would like to know if anyone knows for sure.

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I would like to make a suggestion to you .... If you are going to be catching bait to use I recommend that you get a book and learn what kind of fish you a catching. This time it sounds like you did okay, but if you keep something that is NOT legal to cast net for and and you have them in your bucket and a Wildlife Officer checks you ... you could be in deep doo-doo.

I am not saying this to be mean, but for your own good ... and from the experience of having been a Wildlife Officer in the State of Ohio.

Garry-