Bait Question

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JDWILLIS39, Aug 23, 2009.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I see some of you talking about using shrimp for bait. Where do you get it around Lake Moultrie closer to the Canal the better. I would like to try some. Always open to new ways of doing things.
    Thanks for the info.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    John, I usually buy jumbo shrimp, and cut them in half so that I get 2 piece of bait per shrimp. You can keep them on ice, or even freeze them (even tho some people caution agains this). When iced (but not necessarily frozen) they will be ok to use for a few days. So to make things easy on you, you can get them at home and ice them down for your trip. Keep in mind that you will catch more eater size fish than larger ones on shrimp, but there is the occasional 20+ pounder that cain't resist the power of the lucky scrimps :wink: And remember, to increase to catch ratio, you gotta lick each one before you use it :smile2: Just ask Jimmy Johnny & Pop Pop!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    John u can get fresh shrimp at the local fish market ,the ones with the heads on are the freshest ,something else u can try is put garlic on some and try them that way also :wink:

4. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Pat - how many licks does it take to get to the center of a lucky scrimp?:smile2:

Or should I be asking Pop Pop?:wink:

5. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    My problem is this I live at Angel's Landing or way up in NC not near the coast. When I come to lake stay days or weeks at time. So I was looking for local place to purchase shrimp. Only been doing this about year so still learning about the local area. Does anyone know if there local fish markets around Pineville or Cross. It is really tough living on edge of the lake like that but guys someone has to do it.
    I will take the shrimp licking under advisement. Thanks for the input.

6. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I buy them in the local grocery store. Probably not the freshest, but the work pretty good.

God Bless All,
    Steve

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, there is a seafood market on Hwy 6 just a few miles from where you are, and also at the intersection of us52 and the bypass on the south side of Moncks Corner. They should both have shrimp. Ask for the freshest that they have. I have some of this year's shrimp in my freezer caught a couple of weeks back, that I can share with you, too, if you have trouble getting any.

8. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    Look in your grocery store's frozen seafood section. You want uncooked (white/gray color, not pink). Medium work good.

You can also salt them, they will keep in tackle box or pantry for many months. Peel (and head if you get them really fresh) your shrimp, add in any flavors you want (garlic salt, whatever), and let sit in your fridge for a couple of days so they don't spoil before they get done, then do what you want with them. Heavy layer of kosher/pickling salt, layer of shrimp, layer of salt, shrimp, ect in a tupperware. They rehydrate once in the water and don't lose their smell and juices like takingin and out of the freezer and they are TOUGH.

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    John, i too haven't used shrimp for bait. I have tried the stink bait thing drifting the canal and caught several fish at 5-7lbs and lost interest. I guess if i'm going to make a 3 hr trip to go fishn i want something that will pull my boat around:big_smile: As i get older i'm getting more and more into the smaller eating size fish, not only for eating but for the fun of catching. The kids and wife seem to enjoy catching more than waiting. I might just give that shrimp thing a try on Monty, they say they really like them there. I guess i'm finding out that even the little guys are fun to catch on the right tackle:wink:

10. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Tommy you are right Cross Seafood has shrimp for sale when they have it. If you ask for bait shrimp you get the small shrimp and today it was $5.99 lb. They seemed real nice folks. thanks to everyone for the input. If it goes as planned I will try iy out some tomorrow see how it does fishing. If storms go away that is.

11. MMloy

MMloy New Member

State:
    NC
    Love the quote on your signature...so so true...when do you draw the line or better yet cross it? As I have been told many times, "Stupid is forever and stupid is costly!"

12. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I think I stay past the line most of the time. But it is fun. Just looking for another big fish. Have good day