Bait Question..

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Ky_Katter91, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    When I go after flatheads I generally use the largest live bait I can cast, control around a snag, and have a hook big enough for. The blues I've caught have all came on creek chubs around 6-8", and I was wondering if I should take the same approach to blue cats as I should with a hungry ole shovelhead.
    Would a big 30+ blue be enticed by a larger than hand sized bluegill or big bullhead?
    Thanks.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Absolutely..Blues are opportunistic feeders..If they come across something that smells good and looks good then by golly it must taste good..Though blues are more open-water oriented than flatties so they may not be in the same areas..

3. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thanks man. So I should be alright using the same bait I use for flatties? I know of a few places to catch BIIIIG blues, just wondering about the bait.

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think your better off using cut bait for the blues. They are attracted to the smell fo blood and oil from the bait. Nothing beats a good chunk of bleeding skipjack, at least around here. Good luck.

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Some days you can't get a bite on anything bigger than a quarter and some days you can't put enough bait on the hook. You have to let the river or lake tell you what it wants that day :smile2:

6. mahcmos

mahcmos New Member

State:
    SC
    Like kitsinni said. Sometimes they are more likely to bite larger bait, and sometimes more likely to bite smaller bait. Try both side by side, and they'll let you know what they are in the mood for. As long as it smells good to them they'll usually grab it. My PB was caught on a small styrofoam packaging peanut covered in stink bait so I don't think they care about size as long as they are getting something to eat.

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Blues if they are hungry.. will eat thing 2x bigger than what they can easily consume.:wink:

8. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I cut a Herring in half no matter the size and fish the head end on the big rod,and the other end on the other rod.I catch fish on both pieces pretty equal.The head end is much bigger,and bloodier.My biggest fish has been on the head end though.

9. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it.