Bait Question

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by papabear108, Jun 7, 2009.

1. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys,
    I have easy access to large quantities of Bream (bluegill, hybrid, shellcracker) at my father's pond. Can I use these fish for bait in rivers or lakes? Or should I use bream caught from the location I am catfishing? Thanks in advance.

Bear

2. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The fish that you catch in the pond would be fine as long as you keep them in good shape for travel, don't get them too hot, and if possible try to use some sort of air sorce for them so they don't belly up before you are ready to put them on a hook.

3. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    u need a 5 gallon bucket with bait lid. u can get a bubble box aeriator for about 8 bucks it clips on side. catch em out of ur local pond or where ever u like. if its real hot i throw a little ice in there 2.

4. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Those bluegill will be fine. Keep them fresh and alive though. Big Flatheads and also big blues love live bluegill.

5. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    fill a 20 oz bottle of water and freeze in and just drop it in your bucket so you dont kill em with the chlorine.:wink:

6. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Those baits are all good baites , but I agree with Tomcat about wild bait .

7. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    i found that the bream caught from ponds and creeks dont react to the flathead as well as river caught bream! they dont tend to have the same reaction i guess because they dont know that being at the end of the hook means theyre now at the bottom of the food chain! where the ones at the river....lol.....they already know being off cover after dark is a death wish!.......the more it moves....the more attention it draws......especially this time of the year when the flatties are feeding up!:wink:

8. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Save me some! i need some new bait!

9. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    They are great for bait

10. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    The only problem with the ice or really cold water is, if it gets too much colder than the water you going to use them in, it will kill the fish. They can go from hot to cold water fine, but from cold to hot water will kill them. Just a little food for thought

11. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    good point david..........but from hot to cold will shock a fish also...........any sudden temp change basically

12. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    David you an Kevin both made a good point in your post any rapid temp change can kill them