Bait Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by BobbyLee, Jan 25, 2009.

1. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Just read something and probally should get some input on it.
    This is what was posted: (One thing that I did find out this past year is it is illegal to transport Shad from one body of water to another unless they are dead)

Ohio Regs state:
    It is unlawful to transport and introduce any aquatic species (fish, invertebrate, plant) from one body of water to another.

In reference to this; Does this mean that if I catch shad at the spillway at Dillon I can't use them in the Muskingum. The Licking River flows into the Muskingum river. Maybe I should say; Can I transport and use live shad? Or must they be dead?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this is true, but most people do it, when you buy live bait from a baitstore like gold fish you are doing the same thing.

I have been doing it all my life, illegal yes...I have had my license checked many times, but they never check my bait.

I dont think you will have a problem, because like I said most everybody does it.

3. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    STOP AND THINK ABOUT IT , HOW MANY PEOPLE NET THEIR BAIT OUT OF THE SAME WATER THEY FISH IN? HOW WOULD THE GAME WARDEN KNOW WHERE U GOT YOUR BAIT? IS HE GOING TO LOOK FOR THE THROW NET?
    HOW DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE BAIT SHOP GOT THEIR SHINERS, THEY WOULD NOT LIE TO YOU AND SAY THEY GOT THEM FROM THE LAKE YOUR ARE GOING TO FISH WOULD THEY ????
    UN LESS U ARE USING BABY SHARKS OR GOLD FISH. ITS A GOOD LAW BUT HOW DO U ENFORCE IT? THE GAME WARDEN WANTS TO CATCH U WITH SOMETHING EASY TO WRITE YOU UP FOR NOT THAT REAL HARD STUFF OR THE CHEAP FINES, HE OR SHE WANTS THOSE MEGA BUCKS FINES.

JUST THE OPINION OF A OLD FART.:crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    well one thing here everyone does it unless they using casting net to get there bait from the place they are fishing bluegills bullhead carp creek chub shiners shad are native to ohio i got my gills sometime from holes creek that runs into the great miami and also the little beaver creek that flows into the little miami

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Its been my experience that your shad is going to be dead (mine are anyway) by the time you complete the trip anyway, so I would not worry too much about it.:wink:

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    thats why i use bluegill sunfish or creek chub rick

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think what their intentions are; is keeping species not native to the body of water out. Like the ones that jump out of the water as the boat goes by. If there is shad in Dillon Lake I don't think it 's a problem. JMO. Check with a warden or DNR person to make sure.

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    You guys are only reading into one part of the law, transport from one body of water to the other. Your leaving out the introduce part of it. If it is already an established species in the body of water you are transporting it to then you are not introducing it. Just make sure you are legal as far as lenght limits and amounts if any apply to the speices on the both bodies of water. Also don't come back and blame me if ya get a ticket because if ya ask three different wildlife officers they will probablly give ya three different answers. :smile2:

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah I think you will be o.k. The intention of that law is to keep evasive species out of the water systems like the asian carp and (I think the zebra mussels).

10. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've only been checked to see if i was catching gills in my throw net by are warden when i was throwing for shad but never asked me where i was going with them luckily he did not go to where my ex-gf was catching warmouths and gills lol but yeah the way i see it that shad are pretty much every where are'nt they? in ohio anyway ?

11. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    by the way dave no comments on the ex-gf LOL:crazy: all i got to say is lolypop lol inside joke guys lol

12. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Thanks everyone for the input on this matter. Sometimes the way they word the Regs it's difficult to interpet what they actually mean.

13. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i dint say a word :eek:oooh:

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Bobby,
    I have yet to see a Shad, Bluegill, Minnow, Ect..... - with a stamp on it saying "Property of ______ Lake". (LoL:happy:)

So just like someone said in an earlier post "How can anyone tell" & "Why would a Game Warden want to go through all of that trouble anyway"?
    :confused2:

Just go for it - everyone else do. :wink:
    :0a23:

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Now you went and done it BobbyLee, The DNR is gonna hafta start branding every shad, bluegill, and baby bass, in every lake and river in the state just to catch a few flathead fishermen switching them back and forth. lol

My question is, will baby shad live after the branding iron is seared into their little bodies?
    Can you be prosecuted if the Flathead in your "possesion" from River A; has a Branded bass in it's belly from lake B; ?
    How many swim over the dam? I just can't be held accountable for rouge baitfish that get away.

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Brand them all then you would know if the flatty ya caught today was the same one you caught 3 months ago. Use numbers on them as a code.

17. nixmkt

nixmkt New Member

State:
    Ohio
  18. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I might see some sense in the idea IF you happened to be crossing State lines in the process. Otherwise, I see no problem with it.

On the other hand, I've also read different boating rules at Corp Engineers lakes that they want you to see that the bottom of your boat is perfectly clean and dry before putting it in the water between lakes. Transfer of crustations or some such stuff.

THEN to beat ALL.....I was told last year at the bait shop, that if you have more than three dozen minnows in your possession here in West Virginia, you better have a reciept from the bait shop for them in your possession. No matter WHAT type of minnow it may be. I haven't verified that one yet, but I WILL before I pay 50 bucks for another fishin license. The fine would be cheaper without the dang thing anyway.